What shell is this?

rhox

Marine and Reef Connection
Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi I saw this insane shell at a shop and thought would be kwl if one of my hermits climbs in there but want to see what the creature looked like that was in there. However I can't find it on any website and was wondering if someone here mabey has a clue what this is.

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

DSC_0230.jpg

Reaction score
Wow that is an interesting specimen what is the location of the shop where you found it?

Reaction score
closest guess I can come up with is a black murex (not sure though)

rhox

Sponsor
Reaction score
That's close but this thing is more like a normal snail but just with spiky edges. Just want to see what crazy thing lives in there.

Reaction score
It certainly looks like a Hexaplex cichoreum. They belong to the Muricidae family, which are known predators of other molluscs. Distribution is restricted to West pacific. So place you got this from obviously got it from a shell re-seller.
(Poutiers, J. M. (1998). "Gastropods". In Carpenter, K. E. & Niem, V. H. The living marine resources of the Western Central Pacific Volume 1. Seaweeds, corals, bivalves and gastropods. FAO Species Identification Guide for Fishery Purposes 1. Rome: FAO. p. 562. ISBN 92-5-104052-4.)

Last edited:

rhox

Sponsor
Reaction score
Angaria delphinus or delphinula. Found it at last. Crazy stuff. I had to go to another shell shop and they gave me a book to look through.

Reaction score
Excellent. Found along Madagascar and New Zealand, with such a wide distribution I am sure we get them along our shores. Good researching done. Not sure if they are predatory or not.

RiaanP

Reaction score
Angaria falls within Turbinidae family, which is mostly vegetarian.
They are fairly common and found generally below 25m.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G General Discussions and Advice 3
Mischif93 Invertebrates 0
SwiftRacoon Wanted 1
DrNeoCortex Wanted 1
B Wanted 0
Top Bottom