What salt next

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by mrgert, 13 Feb 2013.

1. mrgert

mrgert

Good day to all,when i started off with my setup i was given a bucket of 20 Kg Tetra Marine Salt,which i used for water changes,good health and growth,did my last water change and bucket now emty,what Salt should i get next wich is a good Brand for Rand...???
    I want to change as i was told by Friends that it is not the best Brand out there..!!!
    Regards
    Gert :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Blueberry

Blueberry

Aqua medic dude , all the way

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

There is no real necessity to change from what you have been using to any other brand if it is doing what your system is capable of.

You need to understand that there are different BRANDS that do different things. Some are better for fish only tanks (well the manufactures claim so) and others better for SPS and others for reef tanks.

Budget will dictate what you can afford. Cheaper salts are generals less consistent in chemical mix and the more expensive "pro" salts more consistent in the chemical makeup.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

A lot of brands want you to "BUY" into their system. I know our brand is close to that. So look very carefully what you want to achieve, look at the history and show tanks around, and if buying into the system stick to it. Swooping and changing in a search for miricals is often a sign of other underlying factors.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

agree, after all you cannot buy something you cannot afford. So get the best for what you can.

I've been using AquaMedic for a long time. Not the best salt out there (apparently), but at descend price. So check around.

Note that you cannot jump around every month or 2 on another brand. Stability is the key. So pick a brand that is always available, not a day drive out, and descend enough.

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

A lot of sense spoken by Nemos Janitor.
    Your questions as to what salt next will tempt hobbyists to push the brand which has worked best for them, which will leave you mire confused as to when you started... My answer, even though Nemos Janutor has said it, is to stick to Tetra Marine, as you, and more importantly, your system has most likely adapted to it.
    Personally, I have no experience with the salt, other than not seeing it freely available in bulk sizes... If you are not happy with the brand, change it, but when doung waterchanges, only do 10% for the first few, only thereafter increase to your normal %...
    If you werre looking for opinions from reefers on salt, you will find as many opinions as you would on a car general car owners forum.
    You'll probably fund that most SA votes go to seachem reef salt and red sea, followed by aqua medic, tropic marin, aqua vitro salinity and whichever of the locally abused ones I have omitted.
    Remember you are reading reefers opinions, most often based on personal preference, prejudice, cost and marketing.... You'll probably not find the most widely used international salt in the top three here, i.e. Instant Ocean....
    As there is not a truly objective current study available on all the salt mixes, it really is difficult to say which is best.... Of course each manufacturer/ distributor will tell you theirs is, or hobbyists will come up with the anecdotal my tank never looked better or corals happier BS!

More importantly, is whatever salt you choose, when you mix up a batch, try and get the major parameters as close to that of your tank, specifically pH, Ca, Mg, Alk, Salinity, Temp and potassium.
    Doing all of the above, could be quite combersome, which again shows the benefut of sticking to one salt for as long as possible......until they change the makeup without informing us.

8. mrgert

mrgert Thread Starter

Thank you Guys so much for the feedback on my Question....I will defenetly get a brand and stick to it.......
    And yes i thought as much as to do small water changes with the new brand(should i change)
    Thank You`s all :thumbup:

Last edited: 13 Feb 2013
  9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I switched from Seachem to Aquamedic (not by choice, mind), and I've had no issues with it.

Recent Posts