What pump for my skimmer

Gemma

Bristleworm
Reaction score
I have been lucky enough to inherit an old (but in excellent condition) Berlin skimmer that is just about 500-550mm high. It says its a hang on type but want to use it in the sump incase of overflow hic-cups. The sticker says something like 25-25000 but is faded. I want to know what size/flow rate pump/powerhead I should use. My tank will be +-160 litres with sump of +-65 litres. Hope I've given enough info for a reply?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
How good is your lfs? if a good one then take it down, they might even put different pumps on it to see which one is best - do you currently have any pumps? if you do then try the skimmer and see how the water flow is, it will quickly become apparent if the flow is too high or too low.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have a picture of the skimmer, i just googled berlin skimmers and there are a few types, none of which have a stock number anything like yours, but that could actually be 2500lts/hour feed?

Tridan

Wrasse
Reaction score
My old berlin worked off a 2500lph pump, so would presume its 2500lph that you need.
There are loads of great pumps on this site, your best bet would be to contact aquality, they are in the sponsor forum.

Good luck

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
also check with Eco Aquatics for a needlewheel reefocto pump.

or an AM 2500 needlewheel, lotsa moolah though

or Aquality for a 2500l needlewheel

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
If you install a needle wheel pump you will have to do a few mods to the skimmer, the label will definatly be for a 2500L pump, so anything between 2500 and 3000 will work well.

Obi-Wan

Shrimp
Reaction score
I think I know....

I have been lucky enough to inherit an old (but in excellent condition) Berlin skimmer that is just about 500-550mm high. It says its a hang on type but want to use it in the sump incase of overflow hic-cups. The sticker says something like 25-25000 but is faded. I want to know what size/flow rate pump/powerhead I should use. My tank will be +-160 litres with sump of +-65 litres. Hope I've given enough info for a reply?
I suspect you saw "rated for 25-250gal".
You have Red Sea Berlin HO
(NOT a ColdWar prostitute)

Pressure rated >2000 l/h upwards for venturi application, OR just DIY acc to skimmer fanclub threads .
mods HELP, with link!!

If Cape-based, I'll SHOW you how.