What Plant is this?

Nick R

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Hi there i really love this plant what type is it and will it get out of hand?

100_4589.jpg

Nick R

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
its amazing what you get on live rock! it was only about 1cm long when i got the rock and now its huge

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
It isn't bad but it can grow like a weed on speed, keep an eye on it, it does a great job exporting nirates.

Nick R

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
i looked at a pic of the Grape Caulerpa and thats not it, the round parts are like flat disc's

Reaction score
Its close enough to caulerpa in terms of growth speed, growth method (PITA Rhizoids that break off and sprout up a few more colonies), difficulty to control, agression towards corals for real estate etc. etc. etc.

Not sure if it is Hypnea spicifera, closer to peltata.....

Reaction score
Nick, the reason it has grown so big and so fast, is because you have provided it with the perfect conditions: Light, elevated nutrients, lack of predation and reduced flow. (think i got most covered)
Now to answer your question about it getting out of control. The rate at which it grew, keep providing it with these conditions, work in an exponential factor per new branch and come to a conclusion....

Move the entire rock and any it has gotten a firm foothold to, move it to the sump, refugium and keep it lit 24/7. Harvest often and destroy the harvest (DO NOT flush that it ends up in ocean or hand to people who might) Just please do not get rid of it by Killing it altogether.....