What now?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by sandersc, 26 Nov 2007.

1. sandersc

sandersc

Hi guys

Trying to find out how I can make use of this newly discovered source of information to find out if there are members who can supply me with some of the stuff I would need to get my system up and running again. One of the first things I want to do is get life into my tank and all the dead rock I have. Any ideas? Looking forward to hearing from you ALL.

This is one of the reasons for the forums existance , to help us new oaks getting it right?

Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

Oh Yes Please tell me if I am out of bounce with my comments and questions or not. I definitely dont want a bunch of angry reefers on my case. Another thing is there a groupor something of all the reefers in the Cape town Boland area, and if so how do I get in contact with them. Thanks

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Hi sandersc,

1st bit of advice you will have to post pic's and tell us about what you got.:)

5. DragonReef

DragonReef

Ask as many questions as you need to. There are quite a few CPT Reefers on the board, just give them some time to see this thread ;)
    I'm sure there are one or two guy's that can help you out with the livesand to seed your tank ;)

6. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The only stupid question is the one you DON'T ask, but in answer to the above, you will need add a few small pieces of live rock to seed all your dead rock (i assume that it was live rock at some point, no amount of seeding will help a lump of granite for example) after leaving the new live rock for a couple of weeks for any ammonia spikes, you will need to test the parameters regularly of nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and P04 when they hit zero, nitrate can be low not zero, you can start to slowly stock, as you do this the bacteria will multiply in step with the extra load (which is why you need to stock slowly)

7. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

I did upload some pics of my old tank (2001). I did this with the wonderful help of Wee-Man, but unfortunately that is on another thread and I do not know how to link it to this one. Help again?

8. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

9. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

10. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

11. Tridan

Tridan

Hey Sandersc, try aquality, liaquat is a sponsor of this forum and has really good quality live rock,he is based in Cape town. depending on the mas of your current rock 5 or 10% new live rock should do the job quite well with regards to seeding the old rock. If you can afford more then bonus get it.

Good luck.

12. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

I've heard quite a bit about the poor quality of Kenian LR lately. I can get kenian LR from a reefer that cleared out his tank because of a house move. Do you think it is wise to get Kenian to seed my dead rock?

Last edited: 26 Nov 2007
  13. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

Sorry another question. What is the reason for dead rock being a good rock to seed again. Are there any spores left in the rock and if , for how long will it be there. Hope you guys can give some info on this. Cheers

14. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The rock is good when it it very porous thereby giving lots of surface area for bacteria to live on, dead "live rock" is just live rock that has been out of the sea too long, it can be livened up by putting fresh live rock in with it, the bacteria will breed and cover all the other rock as required by the bacteria load increasing with careful stocking.

Fiji live rock is the dogs' sphericals, if you can get a kilo or two - do it.

15. DragonReef

DragonReef

Variety is the spice of life :) If you can get the Kenyan rock for a good deal then go for it, but spend a bit of cash and get some premium Fiji rock too if you can.
    Diversity is the unsung hero to succesful Marine tanks ;)

16. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

sandersc I'm selling some very nice fiji live rock at the moment for R110/kg. My arag-alive dsb is also up for sale. You're welcome to only take a kilo or 2. That would probably be about 5 pieces as it is rather light-weight.

17. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

Thanks Rory, where can I get hold of you?

It seems as if "Variety" and "Diversity", are two important words. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

18. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

sounds good to me, take it Sanders, it will seed your system well, if you take a cup full of the dsb sand and mix it with your tank sand bed (if you are having one) that will help the system kick start too.

19. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I'll send you a private mesage now with my number.

20. sandersc

sandersc Thread Starter

Thanks to all of you for your help. I am off to bed and leave the chldren to whatever they do after midnight.

Cheers - Sleep well

21. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hey it's only 10pm here, the night is yet young:)

Recent Posts