What next?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ashbeggs, 20 Jan 2011.

1. ashbeggs

ashbeggs

Hi Guys

My tank is 6weeks old and so far I've done the following:

Upon starting I dosed Calcium and RED SEA Nitro Bac (bio starter)

I added liverock and ran the system for a week.

I then added my first fish, a Damsel.

There after I've done Weekly water checks of Nitrate, Nitrite & Phosphate.

Weekly top ups with RO water

Dosed Aquapharm Marine Oomed

Yesturday I did my first water change and started dripping Kalkwasser. I also added my first 1ml of Vodka.

Whats the next step!? Do I just let the tank be and carry on with water tests and changes as I have been or are there other additaves I should start adding?

How long before you can say your tank is pretty much "mature" and through the teething stags?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Keep it simple, you are adding too much unnecessary stuff.

Firstly, it is wrong to use a fish to complete a cycle, adding a fish after one week is cruel as the ammonia and nitrite stages can burn the gills and make the fish suffer. Whoever told you that needs a klap :p

In the beginning when the salt level is right, you add the live rock and leave it for 4-8 weeks, depending what the tests say. After say 4 weeks you test ammonia and nitrites and they are both 0, and nitrates are say 10, then you can only add your first fish.

Please read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank as you will need that info. In the beginning you don't need to add anything, just do weekly water changes.

Be patient ;)

4. ashbeggs

ashbeggs Thread Starter

Awesome article, thanks! Wish I had it 6weeks ago! Very informative.

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Yeah this forum is awesome. I am evidence of that. I got advice firstly from LFS and ended up losing all my Fish :(

Since I joined here the guys and girls have helped so much with info I would have taken hours to Google and find myself :thumbup:

One bit of advice I can give you is do not rush. Rather wait another week than attempt to introduce too much too soon. Trust me I know all about that.

6. inflames

inflames

Welcom to MASA! Take it easy there! No need to add all this stuff and drip Kalkwasser at this stage. Water changes are you best bet at this stage (regular ones) this will dilute any nasties and replenish all the good stuff needed! Live Rock will help with getting the filtration going. Tobes has given excellant advise on what to monitor!

Do you have a sump?Some pics would be great!

7. crispin

crispin

tobes covered most aspects in his first post so i wont go over what he's already said, although i will add that there is a huge difference between a cycled tank (one thats just finished its cycles after 4-8weeks, or more corectly when the test kits tell you its over) and a mature system which is often 9 months and longer of stable water before you get there.

Carbon dosing (be it vodca, sugar vinegar N and P pellets etc etc) is often best done when your water is stable and definatly not best done in a cycling tank. I think you'll find adding vodca is counter productive to your wishes at the moment and id certainly advise to stop vodca untill much later on. You run the risk of a number of difficult things happening by vodca dosing at this stage, especially if dosing without adding a bacterial source while you are doing it.

Personally i think your enthusiasm for your tank is possibly doing it a little harm. try go a little slower and let the tank catch up to you so that when you are ready to dose kalk, and vodca etc etc your tank is ready too.

Im also a little worried where you get your advice on which fish to add first. I dont think that tanks ready for ANY fish, personally, but id hesitate to add a damsel first, especially if its that black one with one little white dot. Many times becasue damsels are seem as cheap, hardy good beginner fishes, they are added to a tank early. Thats a problem down the line as the damsel is often a little fiesty, sets up a territory and makes adding other more desirable fish at a later stage much harder. If your LFS is advising you to add fish after a week and a damsel at that, id suggest changing LFS :)

8. ashbeggs

ashbeggs Thread Starter

I do have a sump.
    You can see some pics at New tank setup - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Only changes to these pics is the rearrangement of the rock in the display tank and an addition of another power head.

You can get an idea of the setup though.

9. ashbeggs

ashbeggs Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the advise thus far. Looks like the LFS hasn't been providing me with the best info!
    You guys have been so helpful, because I've just been going on the LFS advise thinking they know best. Most likely just wanna make a sale!

What would you recommend then moving forward!?
    Weekly water changes, Keep testing the water weekly. Stop the kalkwasser and vodka. What about the fish already in the tank? Try catch and take out or leave them?

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Yip, weekly water changes and tests. Them? Are there more than one? If so, what other fish besides the damsel? What damsel is it?

11. ashbeggs

ashbeggs Thread Starter

Hi Tobes
    Its a blue devil damsel and two clowns. Also a hermit crab.
    Alot of the stuff i started my tank with, ie live rock and water came from an 8year old marine tank someone didn't want anymore. Would this make a difference?

I've been using Salifert test kits and the Nitrate, Nitrite and phosphate have always been within recommended parameters. I'm going to get salifert ammonia, calcium and kH/Alkalinity kits this weekend to test with.

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

There is a big difference between starting a tank with uncured live rock and new salt water and transfering an old tank with 8 year old rock, obviously fully cured by now :p
    That's why it is so important to fill us in on everything about the system in order to help. I thought this tank was started with uncured live rock,etc , hence my concern about the fish being added too soon during the cycle.
    Anyway, get the ammonia test kit and check it to be on the safe side ;)

13. ashbeggs

ashbeggs Thread Starter

Sorry, I haven't painted the picture very clearly!
    Thanks for the advise still though.

Recent Posts