What next!

Discussion in 'Power cuts' started by Pads, 20 Apr 2010.

1. Pads

Pads

Its bad enough you get poor service delivery from Eskom/City Power, then comes load shedding, we deal with it because what other choice do we have and they warn of the likely outtage times. Next they decide to re-align the amount we pay for electricity because of their inability to PLAN, so the people who do pay for electricity now get nailed again. Now for the last few weeks we have had the pleasant experience of having out power cables stolen. Last week it was out from Monday 12:30am until Tuesday 10:00pm. This morning I woke to find the power out since 12:30am. I can't be certain but my gut tells me the cables have been removed again. Seriously! How long before City Power gets the point and encases the cables or submerges them. We cannot go on like this. Rant mode off!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dasher

Dasher

I had solar panels installed for 20% of the house power,i hooked the Tank up with the reserve battery,it can run for more than 3 weeks if only the tank is hooked up with the reserve battery.

4. lIghty

lIghty

And what did that cost......:whistling:

just thinking about that...... lets say your tank uses 200watts power on average (don't know the setup of your tank).

0.2 kwh x 24(hrs) x 21(days-3weeks) = >100kwh

that would roughtly translate into 168x 100A deep cycle batteries (50% cycle)........ do you work for Willards or SABAT?:whistling:

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

We sit with the problem here in Witbank that everytime it rains heavily, the power is out for a couple of hours in certain areas. The other day our power was off for nearly 2 days. No wonder a few people of management is suspended here at the Witbank councel - aparently on corruption, theft, mis-management, no service delivery, etc,
    etc

Can you say useless, incompetent, pathetic.... :(

and that's nice words... :whistling:

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i got a 12v bilge pump and a 120w inverter and deep cycle battery, it runs my tank for 3 days

having no lights is also good for the corals :) cost me around R1400 from my supplier

7. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

That price doesn't sound bad at all considering the LS in ones tank :thumbup: where can I get one of these? are they difficult to setup? I'm dreading come winter in Jozi which is followed closely by load shedding!!

8. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

I'm in computers 7 was talking to a supplier this morning, he said I could possibly run just the return pump on a normal PC UPS, anybody with experience on this?

9. dallasg

they dont lost long, max 30min
    drop me a pm

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Just to add my 5 cents - just because it JUST happened to me/us here in Parklands, Cape Town:
    - from about 5pm this evening, we lost all power
    - I have battery operated air pumps that I put on my tank (I have a few, but only had 2 of them on my tank this evening)....
    - I have +-29 fish, and a 2 meter tank - and my fish did not suffer at all with only the air-pumps running......
    - the power stayed out for about 3 hours

I must also get my A-into-G (nice "acronym") and replace my 12 volt Bilge pump that I used to use, for-ever..... it blew one day. I also have an electronic "intelligent" 12 volt charger, that keeps the car-battery (I did not use a deep-cycle battery, only a normal "small" car battery) at optimum voltage level....
    The "normal" car battery, was able to keep my return pump (12 volt bilge pump) running for 14 hours without fail (I did not test it longer than that)....

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

what about a generator? one of little ones,maybe to just run pumps and powerheads/wavemakers,heater?

12. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm scared my generator will kill some of my equipment. So when the power goes out I only run my return pump, 1 of my sunsun's and my heaters.

13. vatso

vatso

Depends on the generator some can run electronic equipment so you will have no issues - I run my tank with my generator works like a bomb!

I also have an inverter which runs 3 pumps the return & 2 sun sun pumps one in the sump & one in the DT as well as my heaters

I have 2 x 102 A/H deep cycle battery

14. dallasg

generators will have no issue running heaters, lights etc, this is what they made for...
    but if one would like to check, u can send me the make and model and i can look for u

15. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Thx for the input, still no power, now almost 33 hrs out. Trouble is Municipality is on strike, and sweet nothing we can do to get them out sooner, bar funding their 2 billion rand wage deficit out of my pocket. Still then its not guaranteed. So it looks as though this saga will continue for a few more days. The fish are still alive but temperature has dropped from around 28 to 20.5 so I'm a little worried on that front. I drained about 40l from the DT, popped it into a black bucket which is out in the sun. They fish are not going to enjoy the temp going up and down by 5 degrees each day.

Maybe a look into a generator is a wise option.

16. dallasg

i am not near my place at the mo, but after work i can lend u my generator if u still dont have power by 5pm

17. Boegie

Boegie

My backup is: Inverter + deep cycle battery + car charger
    Solar panel is on the cards.

18. vatso

vatso

Hi Pads

I have a modified sine wave inverter that could run your system for a day or 2 it's 2600 Watt inverter will run heaters & return pump got 2 x 102 AH batterys fully charged if you need I am now in the roodeport area.

Vatso

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Just one piece of advice fella's -PLEASE TEST YOUR GENNIE's OFTEN! I wanted to use mine last night, scared that our power was going to be out for much longer - and I was not able to get mine started (it's a 1.2kVA "camping" type "silent" generator - 4 stroke, manual pull-start)......

20. Pads

Pads Thread Starter

Thx okes. I'll see how I got later and give you a shout. Vatso, could you PM me your cell, shot!

Recent Posts