What next is needed

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by nudibranch, 14 Jan 2014.

1. nudibranch

nudibranch

Hi All

So my tank has been running for 10 weeks now and I have a CUC and two clowns in the tank. I also have a few soft corals in the tank. My water parameters are all stable at the moment

PH = 8.3
    NH3 = 0
    NO2 = 0
    NO3 = 0
    Temp = 26
    Sal = 1.025

So my question is what do I need next in terms of testing, supplements and equipment. My sump only consists of a skimmer, bio balls, filter media, bio cubes. I would like to introduce some hard coral and LPS over the coming months.

I assume I need a test kit for Ca and Alkalinity, anything else? What supplements should I be adding to the tank?

Lastly should the next piece of equipment be that I should look at purchasing? Calcium reactor?

Thanks
    Paul

Last edited: 14 Jan 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

Depending on the size of your tank, a dosing pump is a better bet. You can get away with under R2K, with a Calcium reactor (which are great) will cost you at least R5K without a PH probe and controller.

Do you have an Auto Top up System, that is the best investment you will ever make.

4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Auto top up as @Rossreefer said is a great investment. If you want to keep sps, you will need a KH, MG and CA test kit. Remember to only dose what you can test for. Auto Doser is a much better bet imho. Look at the Marine Magic auto dosers. Great piece of equipment.

At the moment, doing water changes will be more than enough to keep your parameters in check as you dont have much livestock. As you start adding corals, you will have to start dosing as your corals will consume, but again,only dose what you can test for.

What lights are you running?
    Do you have a decent skimmer ?

For me, those are the two most important things in a setup. after STABLE parameters.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i owe you a call to come collect some goodies, lets make it sat or sun

new tank has me occupied :p

6. nudibranch

nudibranch Thread Starter

Agree on the ATU and in the process of getting one. My tank size 360L. I have DIY LED lights and the Reeftek TS1 which is probable running at its max.
    @dallasg, weekend is good for me thanks

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts