What must i feed it and were must i place it?

Reaction score
HEY HEY HEY

My girlfriends mother got this seafan for a special.
At the place were she got it , it was under 4 t5's and it opend very nice!(Purple)
I know there are all kinds of seafans, those that needs light and those that doesn't.
Please give me some advise on where to place it and if it will survive in a marine tank.
THAKS

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Lanzo - It's a beauty - BUT, it does not look like a photosynthetic gorgonia - best would be to place it in a low-light area, with a lot of flow, and feed it Cyclopeze, or perhaps even Marine-Snow (not that I think marine snow is really of any value). I feed my corals the frozen zooplankton (rotifiers) that one can buy at a LFS...

Reaction score
Hey jacques
Are you sure?
Because the polyps doesn't want to open with heavy flow?
And it looks to me like he likes light, because were i got him, the guy told me he had him in a place with low light and when he shifted him to a place with more light it opened directly, and he doesn't seem to do this in this tank?

Reaction score
Looks to me like Muriceopsis flavida. It is photosynthetic and likes medium flow and medium light. These come in a variety of colour shades, so look the shape and construction of the pinna for a good id.
Look here:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=606
and here:
Server error!

PS. They take a few days to settle and open up fully after being moved. Mine took about 5 days before it looked 'normal'
HTH,
Neil

Reaction score
Wow if you frag PLease Please Please let me know...

Send Bristlebasher a PM he imports fanamartin food if I'm not mistaket it's specially formulated for these guys...

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Stunning coral, perhaps you could try feeding it some Coral Frenzy, it is a very very fine food, perfect for feeding small polyps.

Reaction score
O.k i have placed him in a medium current and medium light.
I'll paste more pic's after a few days, i have some coral frenzy that i 'll feed him.
(the top of the coral is opening today, does this meen that there is to little light that is exposed to the buttom of the coral?)
Sims i'll gladly give u a frag if he starts to grow.
But what is the growing rate for these guys?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
O.k i have placed him in a medium current and medium light.
I'll paste more pic's after a few days, i have some coral frenzy that i 'll feed him.
(the top of the coral is opening today, does this meen that there is to little light that is exposed to the buttom of the coral?)
Sims i'll gladly give u a frag if he starts to grow.
But what is the growing rate for these guys?
Very nice Lanzo, but you might want to let your well meaning folks know that just because it looks nice, don't mean it's suitable, my folks tried to help out when i first started, luckily my Dad asked before buying me some fish and corals that would have been either too advanced or too big for my set up.

But please keep the piccies coming, i would like to see that one when it has settled in a bit:)

Reaction score
UJO UJO UJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks to mee like he has setteld in nicely!!!!
All the polyps is open, and hectic purple.
I promise i'll add some pics tom!

Reaction score
Thanks man, i hope it will live, because my girlfriends mothers tank isn't that stable(parameters)
The corals doesn't seem to like her tank much(star polyps an frogspawn, but shrooms are doing good)
Hope this guy makes it, otherwise i'll kidnap him and throw him in my tank:yeahdude: