What makes a tank good, TOTM worthiness??

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dallasg, 20 Feb 2010.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Ok i am interested to see what everyone thinks about what makes a tank great.
    Is it the size?
    is it the livestock?
    is it the behind the scenes?
    all of the above?
    the look of it?

what wow factors to people look for? eg myself i dont like big tanks, i prefer nano's and pico's so when i see nano's that are blooming i enjoy those more. also i am a fundi for the science behind the scenes and love seeing the unusual filters, lights etc that people have.

tell me what you think

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

To me- none of the above.
    I believe in the natural look.
    Created the way it looks in Haiti, Philipines etc, wherever these corals come from.
    Natural look of rock structures.
    No pumps, wiring etc to be noticed, (the wires showing behind a tank, pumps all over the place, magnet cleaner hanging from the side glass,wallpapers stuck on as a background)
    No "Smartie Box" look
    And 3-D. Most of reefers pack the rocks in such a way that it looks like a window display. (Create crevasses, "circular" view points,caves etc)
    Bare bottom is definitely not natural.
    Oh- and definetely what Hennie said here
    And Lanzo just summed it all up.

So, in short, all of the above make a tank worthy of being nominated TOTM- Hence you cannot have a TOTM every month, as the above criteria is definitely not in all the tanks

Last edited: 20 Feb 2010
  4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

cool, i agree bare bottom is the most unnatural, i think aqua-scaping plays a huge roll in the asthetics of a tank

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

i think its about the whole look. sometimes wires can't be hidden in the tank, but i think clean tank, nicely organised engine room, and what the reefer has accomplished through his knowledge and husbandry. yes we all get help, but at the end of the day we the owners of that particular system have done the stuff. so how can you not take that into account. some do everything themselves, some have employed companies to do it, so while it may still look good, what about those who have done it all themselves? you can't ignore that
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

I agree with Sean to a large extent - a tank must look natural. There is, of course, a lot more to it than just looks...

To me, one of the more important criteria would be the age of a tank, and it's "stability". It's easy to have a spectacular tank for a relatively short period, if you throw enough money into it. I know one guy who has a "beautiful" tank, but he does not have the knowledge to keep it stable - so every month he adds new corals to replace those that have died or faded away. IMHO this tank, though normally looking rather spectacular, should never be considered for a TOTM award, because it does not reflect the skill necessary to keep a healthy system - only the financial muscle of it's owner...

Hennie

7. crispin

crispin

hear hear!

8. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I agree with all of you. I think it's very much like bonsai, where the object is to create a stylised representation of nature. You want to instill the awe and biodiversity of a natural reef in the viewer. Obviously most of us can't have a full feef in our lounge (although some come close), so selecting the elements that make a reef and assembling in such a way that the viewer for a moment forgets that he or she actually above water is what make a successful aquarium. The smaller the scale, the more difficult it becomes, so I agree with Dallas that a beautifull small tank deserves special mention.

9. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

I must agree with all the above....natural and healty system with great coral growth aswell.

A system that a guy struggled for a long time and then suddenly things started changing...due to his hardwork and knowledge he built up and establishing what he has learned over the years.

One can have a great system with the lowest cost aswell...its all about skill IMO;)

10. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Spectacular fish is also a deff plus point for me

Some fish is very difficult to keep...so this is a trend we should perhaps also be looking into.

11. maj

maj

i enjoy a colourful looking tank with lotsa variety wrt corals and fish.

doubt i will enjoy owning a fish only tank

12. Warr7207

Warr7207

Although all the comments above make complete sense. I reckon you won't have many TOTM's if you had such strict rules

13. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

Ditto...thats also true...so then TOTM will become TO4M(Tank Of Fourth Month) or TOTY (Tank Of The Year);)

14. seank

seank

Well, at least everyone can strive for all of the above criteria

15. scubaninja

scubaninja

yes, everyone could strive for the above, but every tank would then look the same, obviously sizes would be different, and some stuff like actual corals and fish, but we are all unique. we should strive for what we each think looks good and then, if others think its also good, then thats even better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. seank

seank

Every single place at the oceans bottom where corals grow, looks different- and it is all still natural;)

17. dallasg

this thread was no way for me to set criteria, but more to see what others want to see, as this a community forum and would like to please the majority.

also interesting to see what people think

18. vatso

vatso

How do u decide stable? just with keeping a log of water pram?

also if you have had a tank for 2 years & a crash & replace everything how does that work?

I am not sure how many people dive here so to decide what a reef should look like is interesting??

what is a tank is a fish only tank no TOTM then? or NPS only?

Maybe the TOTM should more be about a tank & how it's maintaned vs if it's nice to look at & who decides nice?

My 2 Cents worth

19. dallasg

well its a mixture of things, i read all the threads of tanks and see the progress, lessons learned etc, how they evolved, then move on to aesthetics, then see the age of the tank etc... TOTM on every forum is someone personal recommendations and voted on to win

20. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I would agree with natural looking, but colorful also helps. A colorful tanks gets me to say WOW!

Also - "something different"..... like the rimless/braceless aquariums.... like the colorful soft-coral nano tanks that have been showcased in the world....

A very "clean" unusual/natural looking tank (like some of the tanks with seperate "coral bommies" and a LOT of swimming space, makes me say "WOW" this is TOTM worthy....

A very neat tank - with very neat plumbing and lighting - nearly clinical - makes me say - WOW - this is TOTM worthy!

21. vatso

vatso

What about the guys who can't afford all the top gear & stuff? like you said easy to have a good looking tank if you just throw money at it

Recent Posts