What Made you start/switched to Marines....???

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by STC-1000, 26 Dec 2012.

1. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Hey, I'm interested in hearing the guys stories as to what made them take the big dip into marines ,or switchout,as I'm sure 90% of the reefers had bathwater tanks before or still have them :lol:

I for one was a freshwater guy since childhood, it seems it was always only me in my family who had a passion for fish, and I stuck thru coz the expense fell on my parents .after a trip to the 2 oceans aquariums grand openin and soon after the nemo movie, my mind was set, but it had to wait till my studies and parties were a thing of the past aka, I waited till I was marriage and my own responsibility and yeah, still had my malawis @ the time and when I felt ready, I swopped out mt entire malawi showfish(wildcaught) male only collection for a little skimmer,few pieces of liverock and mature saltwater , and yeah, 3 chromis ,bad bad bad but hey,what better did I knw......

That's my story guys, let's here yours ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Never kept freshwater, except a goldfish as a 6 yr old, lol.
    Went straight into marines at age 18. Kept mullet before that in a tank for livebait for a few weeks at a time, but guess that dint coune either.
    Was totally intrigued with an anemone and a few clowns whilst off my face at a friends place. We used to go to his spot in town to pay homage to Dr Hoffman before a night on the town. Couple of times found myself staring at the cool colours of the clowns in their white anemone and the other trippy fish under actinics hours later.
    Guess it kinda worked with my passion for the ocean which i had since i can remember..

4. keegz001

keegz001

i have to say i joined because when i was 7 we went to the Two oceons aquarium and i was fascinated by all the fish my dad promised me a 7m shark tank lol to stop me crying when i couldnt take "nemo" home about 4 years later i started a freshwater aquarium with guppies etc but it wasnt very intertaining,i would stay up for hours just researching fish and whenever i went to the fish shop i would find myself staring at the saltwater tanks so after a year of freshwater i took the plunge and bought a saltwater tank for christmas my tanks been running for a year and 9 months and im setting up a tank double the size in Jan so i guess it was the long interest i had in the Two oceans (i dragged my dad there 3 times a week when we lived there) so yhaa when we moved here i wanted to bring the Two ocoens with me so i set up my own ;)

5. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

Never did the freshwater thing, but the bug bit me when I started diving.
    And I started diving after seeing some under-water pictures of diver-friends of mine...

6. STC-1000

STC-1000 Thread Starter In Reefers Rehab

Awesum experiences guys, see, you guys already proved my theory wrong that 90% of reefers did bathwater b4 lol... Good to know how the bugs bit....

7. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

Saw a friends tank @Awvince and got hooked...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Aquanaught

Aquanaught

Don't know how to keep any tropical, freshwater neither gold fish, nor guppies, I jumped in years back straight into saltwater and I keep sps probably better than goldfish, lol

9. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

My then 2yr old fell in love with the Movie "Finding NEMO"...after that movie we would go every weekend to a Petshop so she could look at then...she nagged and nagged and we figured she'll lose intrest... a whole year past and she still begged every weekend for Nemo and Nemo's Mommy to come home with us...:eek:.. by that stage she was "Daddy's Little girl" and she has learned the art of wrapping him around her little pinkie like every 3yr old is capable of doing...:005: ...YIP...got the Tank...:eek:..even before we got home, I realised that this "Family" Tank was my new "Chore"...seriously...I DID NOT want it..
    So from day one I became the owner and the "Reefer" in our house...me, being an animal lover of note, was in-love with them in no time and took to them, like a "fish to water"...:005:...I can not imagine my life without them...:blush:...my daughter is now 5 and she still LOVES the Fishy's...VERY mindful of the Tank...helped with the "Cycling"...reminded me about switching on the light's...heater...etc...helps with the water changes...never runs or jumps infront of the Tank...she's the only 5yr old that I know of that knows what Bristleworms are...or Aiptasia..:lol:..etc...I love it when she watches Kingdom Of The Seas and says...that's a Shrimp or there goes a Hermit Crab..it's nice...:blush: My favourite was the way I tried to explained to her about the Shrimp's "exoskeleton"...so roughly every 3 weeks she yells...."aaaaagggg man...the Shrimp climbed out of his Costume again..!!!"

10. crispin

crispin

i kept bathwater from the age of 6, with various tanks and breeding setups. Once i mastered the art of breeding Killifish and had converted my resivoir on the farm to a malawi and lake tanganikan chiclid set up i got bored with it all. by that stage id had fish 25 years almost constantly and finally had the finace to do Marines propperly but was travelling too much. After a year on profesional exchange to Norway I was back in SA and as a reward to myself i got my first tank in 2008. i havent stopped learning or being facinated since then and the thought of starting a bath water set up makes me shiver.

i was also greatly inspired by seeing other truley beautiful tanks in SA and England and learning from others.

11. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I saw clownfish at a pet store in Durbs. The tank was crystal clear and bright, a stark contrast to the freshwater tanks that I had always seen (the freshwater tanks always look like they have a green tinge, must be the lights...). I was tempted to start up a marine tank there and then but those okes gave me the best advice: it is difficult and time-consuming.

Fastforward a few years later and my brother-in-law bought me a little nano for my birthday and I have been hooked ever since. :)

Recent Posts