What livestock first??

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Shanie, 13 Mar 2008.

1. Shanie

Shanie

Hi Guys,
    What livestock should go in first , once the tank has cycled. Some say Hermits and snails. Others say Fish & Others say Coral???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

I would DEFINITELY say clean up crew (hermits & snails), these are often hardier and thus are good to introduce first (shrimps on the other hand shouldn't be added so soon in my opinion). Then you can slowly start stocking with fish and corals

4. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

PS, i also had some paly's, zoos, mushrooms and xenia (quite a lot!) hitch hike on my LR and they all made it through the cycling process until today, so if I were you i'd stock slowly, and then find fish that are easy to keep (eg. occelaris clowns etc)

5. sunburst

sunburst

Hmmm... A question that i should have had clocked by now. But alas its the school of hard knocks for me. So often we buy for the wrong reasons, driven by the need to create the pretty instead of the sensible.
    IMO...
    In a nutshell, if i were you i would start with one or two of the more docile grazers. Algae concerns in the beginning make grazers a blessing, and do not add unnecessarily to the bio load. If you have a sand bed keep the bio load as low as possible for the first couple months. I would not attempt hard corals until after 6 months. This is not cast in concrete though, and providing you follow the basics, and do some reading on water parameters.... can be shortened.

Good luck and welcome

Recent Posts