What livestock can I buy that will keep my sandbed clean?

Reaction score
24G JBJ Nano Cube

Current livestock:
2 Occelaris Clowns
1 Midas Blenny

Cleanup crew:
3 Astrea snails
1 Turbo snail
1 serpent starfish
3 red legged dwarf hermit crabs.

What can I buy that will be compatible with my current inhabitants and keep my sand bed clean??

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Matt, are you seeing detritus on the sand?

As far as I can see it looks like you have a nice selection there, and with the new Korilias you might find less detritus settling on your substrate.

I would stock slowly from here;)

Reaction score
Not seeing detritus on the sand, but if I stir the sand up it does bring tiny particles into the water column (i'm sure this happens in most tanks though?) Thought maybe if i got something that stirs the sand up it would keep it just that much cleaner.

moz

Reaction score
Wouldn't brittlestars help, also interested in some ideas as my hermits are defecating everywhere?

Reaction score
mabe that very small once, but myne normaly only cleans my LR(inside),ond the detritus between the rocks.

Reaction score
Wouldn't brittlestars help, also interested in some ideas as my hermits are defecating everywhere?
Not in a Nano. He would eventually die. They need loads of detritus. Also Brittle are reef grazers so you need a sizeable reef to keep them happy, the Nasserius snails are the way to go for this sort size tank.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Warr, that isn't a nassarius snail, that is a babylonia whelk, whilst considered a predator and not reefsafe, as long as there is plenty of food around, great for sand shifting, but in Matt's case not good.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes was in a nano (and had one in a bigger setup a few months back). But I target feed all my stuff. He usually came out after a few minutes of the first food going in. Probably "smells" it. Then I just dropped a piece of food (mixture) in his path.

I kept him specifically to keep the sand stirred.

Reaction score
Warr, that isn't a nassarius snail, that is a babylonia whelk, whilst considered a predator and not reefsafe, as long as there is plenty of food around, great for sand shifting, but in Matt's case not good.
Thanks, everyone I asked said nassarius, should have asked you first :whistling:

Haven't seen any predator action and they go no where near the reef. live in the sand and at night go up the glass pane get to the top and fall down ??