What lighting?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by rudeboy1, 14 Nov 2011.

1. rudeboy1

rudeboy1

Hi All

I would just like to know what would be my best lighting option for a 35cm deep tank?

I was thinking T5's? but how many of them? What combination? What make?

Can I MH? And also where can I purchase some lighting where the price is not overkill?

My tank is 90cmx35cmx35cm. I would like to keep clams, coral and anemones!

Please help!

:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

Please if anyone is selling that would be great aswell.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

you could use 1 x 150w mh and 2 T5's, but personally I would go with 6x t5 all giesmann/ati/kz

5. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

That sounds like a great idea. Would i need a chiller or some sort of cooling system? And also where can i find those lights at a decent price?

6. shaunn

shaunn

u will be able to to get a evaporation chiller @ idol marine cost of running is aprox 10 watts compared to a normal chiller that uses 200 watts i installed mine this weekend and my tanks constantly runs @ 25.5 c deg the with a controller costs R3900

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

well if your tank is open on top you dont need a chiller. You mostly have problems with closed hoods. Whats the size of your display tank and what type of corals do you want? See anemones and clams require quite a bit of light

8. Reef surgeon

Reef surgeon

Your tank has A net vol of 110 litres a starting point would be 1 watt per litre 110 watts your tank is also shallow which helps as deep tanks need more light. First prize would be to keep your tank un cluttered and easy to access from the top. I would recommend 1 x 150watt MH pendant suspended from overhead at least 300 mm or more above tank and leave the top completely open. I would select a 20k lamp as at this wattage it really gives off a nice Colour temp and is not tooo blue but very natural. Heat is problem but if your display is situated where it can get a good breeze it will be fine. Remember clams need a good photo period 8 to 10 hours a day and a stable Kh
    Good luck and enjoy

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

tank is only 350mm wide. Not going to be easy to fit 6 T5 tubes above that tank, plus leaving enough space to feed the fish

39W tubes will fit. But more likely a 4 tube unit only

Sounds like a standard 3foot Daro tank. First give a little bit more info for the best advice. Do you run a sump and skimmer? Also seems that you want to start of with the more difficult creatures,
    If you are only starting up, I strongly advice against anemones. They can only be housed in matured systems, normally older than 8 months where the system is stable, and more important, you learned by then how to keep the system stable. Also starting of with just about 100L system, is a lot more difficult compared to a 250L system. Water parameters just go out that much faster. Not impossible, that is where I started. But every weekend water parameter test and your 10% water changes are CRUCIAL. skipping it, and you will see the bad results very quickly. Overfeeding in small tanks is another problem.

Anyway, a 150W MH might be overkill on Bubble tip anemones. Too much for them normally. But on Carpets and most others, then MH is a must. MH will heat up the system, but you can mount it a bit higher up and use something as simple as a PC fan to blow air over the tank. That will keep things cool, just your RO top up will be more.

But anyway, I said a lot, now its your turn to give more detail on what you going to do, or want to do.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  10. Submariner

Submariner

This is the perfect tank for LED's

You could do this tank on 72 watts of LED's

After buying the MH /T5 and chiller you will be spending the same amount of money as the LED's anyway.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2011
  11. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

How does the LED system work? How do i know how much wattage there is? I see its like 15 watts per m. Where can i get LED's with wattage?

12. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I'm not clued up on LED's at all, but hopefully you'll get some Info from this Thread until the Experts come along...;)

LED's - Marine Aquariums of South Africa ..If you go thru this Thread you will come across some good info on LEDs, not much, but it's there......wattage etc...although it doesn't start out so "info orientated"..

Reefs Magazine - An LED Primer by Jake Adams
    Led Lighting Is Here - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited: 18 Nov 2011
  13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Oh! Speed reading again :lol:

14. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

I saw the post but I really dont wanna replace my t5's every year! I would like to know what LED's i can put on the tank. I saw a few 14000k and 20000k cree led strips for sale. But it says 13 watts per metre. Is that strong enough for a reef tank?

15. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

The "standard norm" is 3W per Led...so you will/could have a major debate when you start asking about the light depth...:p..in a Nutshell 3W per LED is "so-to-speak" "proven" for a Reef Tank...so go with LED's that work on that....you have a nice size, not to big and not to small...I've seen good Stunner Strips...it's on the 1st Link I gave you...they work on 3W a LED and I saw it's comming down in price...will try and find it...as you can add when you want more...

Ecoxotic Drops Prices on Stunner Strips | AquaNerd
    http://reefbuilders.com/2009/10/24/stunner-led-strip-lights-ecoxotic/

Even these are nice...
    TMC: Aquarium Products - AquaRay Solid State Aquarium Lighting
    TMC: Aquarium Products - AquaRay AquaBeam 600 Ultra

16. rudeboy1

rudeboy1 Thread Starter

So you feel that 13watt per strip would suffice? Im really excited about that. If 3 watt is the norm then that should be more than enough. I was thinking starting with 1 x 14000k strip and 1 x 20000k strip. That would be great.

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Its nornally 3W per LED. There is alot more to lighting than simply counting watts. Besides the colour temp you also need to the correct PAR etc.
    There is a reefer on the forum using those strips on his nano.

18. Tremayn

Tremayn

TSR had or is still having a special on a LED fixture for R2000, looks good but you wont get much light at the ends of the tank, you could mount it a little higher perhaps

19. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

20. cclarity

cclarity

Get hold of TSR (a sponser) they have the Vetex units in 600mm and 900mm. They are rated to light up 200mm iether side of the unit so the 600mm will be perfect. In 10 years time you can consider changing them. I have 8 of those units over my 1.8m tank and I have had to disconect 2 of them.

21. Submariner

Submariner

I would recommend two Vertex 600 long Illumilux Units 36 watts per unit total 72 watts.

units are 650 mm long * 70 mm wide.

This will be more than enough to keep anything you ever want to keep.

Recent Posts