What lens for my 450D?

Discussion in 'Photography' started by danimal, 14 Jan 2010.

1. danimal

danimal

Hey guys

I recently acquired a Canon 450D and I cant put it down! It came with the kit lens and I am looking at getting some more lenses - well just one for now, will expand my quiver as cash flow (and management!) deem suitable.

I've been looking all over the net at the different options but it just leaves me confused as ever. The two aspects of photography that interest me are macro (specifically marine stuf... lol :p) and landscape. What experience with what lenses do you guys have? What is recommended for a beginner like me?

Cheers

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Renannchen

Renannchen

Sigma has a 70 x 300 lens and 85 x 500 that will work very well for whatever you want to use it for they are R2000 + better than going original cannon

4. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks man. i have been looking at the 50mm prime lenses, some people say they are awesome and no photographer should be without one - opinions?

5. gaboon

gaboon

Really?

Tamron 105 for macro and sigma 10-20 for landscape

6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

For landscape you want a wide angle lens. Like a 10-20as gaboon has said. The 300 and 500 is not what you are looking for. They are more for wildlife photography.

Just remember one thing, you get what you pay for. A R200 lens is just plain a waste of money. Rather INVEST in something more expensive but better as once you have bought the cheap lens and see the image quality, you will have to go out and buy the better one in anyway.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  7. vatso

vatso

Buy what you can afford if you can afford a better lens it's better to buy that & how much you going to use the camera. Like all things use with big SLR type cameras never have them around when we out so we never get the pic!

Also lots of photography is not just equipment but rather understanding how to use the camera.

As for the lens you are looking for decide what you want first & go do some test shoots with the lens you want to buy - make sure you print the image - looking at it on your camera LCD is a waste of time

Mark

8. Renannchen

Renannchen

Not sure think its 85 x 500 or 110 x 500

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Correct, BUT...

The 450D is a great camera, but it has a "crop sensor" which results in any lens having a focal length of 1.6x what it would have been on a full size sensor camera. The 50mm focal length gives the same perspective as the human eye, on a full size sensor camera. If you plan to upgrade your camera in the future (to a "full size sensor" then by all means get the 50mm prime - it will just be a 80mm lens (very good for portraits...). If you want to maintain the "human eye" perspective on the 450D, you would need to buy a 28mm or 35mm lens.

If I may express an opinion - don't ever buy any "digital" lens which was designed for use on a crop sensor camera (such as the Canon EF-S lenses). When one invests in a DSLR camera, one actually invests in a system, and the biggest part of the system are the lenses. The EF-S lenses do not fit on the full frame sensor cameras, and buying any would either result in a large waste of money, or in restricting your future purchases to only crop sensor cameras.

From personal experience with my Canon 20D (also a crop sensor camera): I bought a EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 zoom lens (which gave me an equivalent 45mm - 216mm zoom), and a 100mm macro f/2.8 (160mm on your camera), and both lenses gave me many nice photos before I upgraded to the Canon 5D mk II body. I am still using both these lenses, and they are now giving me even better photos - I did not waste my money :biggrin:

As a first "investment lens", I would suggest you get that Canon EF 100mm macro (the non-"L" lens...)

Hennie

10. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks for the useful input hennie. been looking at the 100mm macro, its just the R6k price tag making me gulp...:( the wife would certainly have something to say if i splashed out on something for that price just after spending R7k on a camera body... AND we've just applied for a bond... lol!

11. seank

seank

I have a fairly new 70-300mm Sigma lens if you interested. You can have it for R1500

12. Reef Maniac

If I may correct myself here... I should have added: "If you are going to concentrate on taking pics of the tank, and portraits." If, as you mentioned, you will be doing more landscape work, I agree with Marius Meyer that a wide angle lens would be a better first lens. Personally, though, I would not go as wide as the 10mm-20mm, as that would not work very well on a full size sensor camera in the future. Rather look at getting either the 20mm f/2.8 or the 24mm f2.8 primes if cash is a major problem. The 28mm f/1.8 USM would also be a good lens to consider, giving you a sharp, approximately 50mm equivalent, prime lens which will also be very useful when you upgrade your camera.

Hennie

13. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks sean I will send you a pm

14. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Gulp some more,photography will cost you big bucks ,its like reefkeeping you will always feel that you need something new.You Canon guys are lucky the Nikon 105mm macro is around 10k so 6k seems like a good deal.:thumbup:

15. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

lol... why do two of the coolest hobbies have to be such a cash drain!

16. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

The learning curve seems very similar too.In the begining I thought I could just start with a simple setup.Soon we get sucked in to the whole hobby and then the cash drain starts.
    Normally a novice will buy cheap equipment but then they are not satisfied and end up buying the expencive gear anyway so the cheap stuff actually was just a waste.How many reefers have junk skimmers lying ?Its the same with cheap lenses in the end you will replace then too.Rather buy the high quality lenses from the start.

17. Ross

Ross

I can not comment on a lens for landscape photography as I have never really been into it. I would like to just reinforce what some of the guys have said, you will get what you pay for and don't be penny wise and pound foolish. If you can not get a decent lens work with what you have, many ppl get great results with the kit lens. Wait till you have the money and then spend it on good glass. I hate to break it to you but the camera body was probably the cheapest part of your kit you have purchased.

Now I am going to go back on myself a little here, if you want an awesome lens to learn with and play with with very good results, look at the 50mm f/1.8 II. It is the cheapest lens Canon make, but it will teach you a lot about photography, it is cheep and it is fun to play with.

As for your Macro work, a 100mm will be awesome. Just think about it first, is that going to suit what you want to do, are you only going to do macro or what about family type candid shots and holiday shots etc. I would consider an everyday lens long before I went for anything specialized.

For an everyday lens, nothing will beat the EF 24-105 f/4.0 L USM IS. This will work for most of what you will run into and will work well for your landscape and tank shots. Sure it is not Macro but true macro is very specialized and not what we are seeing here, we are really seeing closeups. My 24-105 hardly ever comes off the camera and for quality pics, it can't be beat.

18. danimal

danimal Thread Starter

thanks ross, your input is most appreciated. I have been looking at both the 50mm f1.8 and the 24-105 and am considering both before getting into specialzed stuff like the macro :)

19. Ross

Ross

I can tell you that you will not be unhappy with either of those lenses or if you can both. The 50mm is fun, the 24-105 is outstanding. I bet you can get away with most your shooting with that unless you need some crazy telephoto or some ultra wide.

:thumbup:

20. Reef Maniac

Agreed - that 24-105 f/4 IS is an outstanding lens, and one which I've considered very seriously before I decided to rather get myself a 24 - 70 f/2.8 for the full-frame camera (one of the deciding factors were that I recently bought the 70 - 200 as well, and the lens overlap would have been a bit of a waste). I'm still holding back on the purchase a bit, though, as I heard that Canon might be launching the mark 2 version of this lend during this year, and that it would also have IS (but at a price, I suppose...

I do agree with Ross that the 24-105 would be more versatile for you, as you don't have a longer lens.

This could be a serious problem in your choice of lenses - the above-mentioned 24-70 is over R13 000.00. The 50mm f/1.8 is pretty cheap, though - less than R1 300.00.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and enjoy the shopping...

Hennie

21. seank

seank

Please read this thread on the link:
    Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM - OutdoorPhoto

Recent Posts