What is your preferred method for fragging a colt?

Reaction score
I cut some pieces of a colt coral that was getting too big, I attached the bigger piece to a piece of LR with a rubber band, it ended up splitting in two parts. I also tried super glue, but it doesn´t work, too much slime. I have the pieces in a box with coral rubble, but none seem to be attaching.

What method would you recommend?

GRACIAS!

Best method i have found is to attach a branch to a plug with an elastic band while still attached to the mother coral. Once attached 1 -2 weeks move the plug combo so that the branch is stretched. It will naturally part. If you cut them they tend to die easily.
I just do it that way when they get too big. Not for farming or anything.

I got a colt coral that I want to frag. Does the method for Finger Leather apply to a Colt coral?

no but that could work,you use a threading needle stick in twice through the colt and wrap around rock and tie it.

What thread do you use, Dale? Maybe thin fishing line?
Looks like the method in the link above did not work for the guy, I think.

Thanks again Dale. Going to try it your way.
Googled another site explaining it:
http://paulsreef.blogspot.com/2009/03/colt-coral-fragging.html

hmmm this doesn´t show a happy ending....

what has worked best for me in to put the pieces in a plastic container with pieces of rock, eventually the pieces attach on their own and can be later glued to larger rocks.

Also, the longer it takes to separate a piece from the mother colony, the best. If the branch that is to be cut it forced to separate from the colony, there will be less damage when cutting, so using a cable tie and something to add some weight to it could force the branch to split but with most of the tissue already healed, the final cut would be a lot smaller.

Back
Top Bottom