What is this?

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by Fran, 30 Oct 2013.

1. Fran

Fran

Hi,
    Found this in my reef tank, my bristle star was busy moving it from a hole under a rock. Nothing in my tank looks anything like this. It's about 1 cm long.....

image.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Looks like a part of a clams foot.
    Do you have any clams moving around?

4. Bubbles22

Bubbles22

Bristleworm.

5. Fran

Fran Thread Starter

I have a small blue clam that started looking unhappy about a week ago.... Still alive but not happy. I've put it into my husband's tank hoping it will come right. Any idea what could have caused this? Will it die?

6. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I am not too sure why your clam would lose the byssal threads but I can tell you from experience what happened with mine. I was moving a crocea clam to a more suitable place in my tank. It has been in that spot for over a year so was firmly attached and I had to rock it back and forth in order to get it out. It eventually gave BUT those threads got removed. When I checked, the foot was still intact and I put it in its new spot. It did try to move so I was not too concerned about damaging it too much.
    It is about three months down the line from the time I moved it and it is still doing well.

I am going to assume that when you moved it to your hubby's tank that the threads came off. I am also going to assume that you have a crocea clam based on the colour (if it is a maxima I will be utterly jealous!). You will need to post a pic for use to really guage the condition.

In the interim, do the following:
    First thing, check to see if its foot is still attached.
    Secondly, croceas love light, near equivalent to the lighting that SPS would like so make sure that it is high up (acclimatise it accordingly) or in suitable lighting conditions.
    Thirdly, check if it is gaping. Gaping is when the incurrent siphon is opened really wide (you can almost see through the clam), the mantle is receded into the shell and the shell is opened to the fullest. If it is at this stage then it is pretty much a goner.

Also, check to see if the shell has any new shell growth, you can judge if the clam is in decent health from this.

Good luck!

7. Fran

Fran Thread Starter

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the reply. We went away for the weekend and I came home to it lying on its side. Looked like a big hole underneath but I assumed it had just receded ... It all makes sense now, but still have no idea how it happened. It's mantle had also receded, and wasn't looking good at all. Up until that point a very happy little clam that I've had for over a year. I think it's starting to look a little better.... Let's hope it's not just wishful thinking.

8. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

No problem. It sounds like your clam is coming right slowly, if it responds to changes in light then it should be fine. :)

crispin likes this.
  9. crispin

crispin

awesum posts there Tekkengal, i had no idea what that was and its great to see people using experienece of a problem to help others:) well done

10. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Thank you, appreciate the feedback! :blush:

Last edited: 30 Oct 2013
  11. Fran

Fran Thread Starter

Yips, awesome thanks so much.

I would have spent years wondering what it was.... From a yeti crab arm to some weird nudibranch or fluffy worm....lol

12. KeeganP

KeeganP

:eek: Looks like a rabbits tail...

Recent Posts