What is this? And is it dead or alive?

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

My name says it all and sorry for the epic title! :lol:

I bought some LR from the LFS just to put in some water to cycle a small tank for now. The tank has no lights on it and a simple filter. So now on the live rock I have these things. No idea what they are???

LR 1.jpg

LR2.jpg

I honestly cant remember if they were there at the start. If they were dead would they not have decomposed or something in 4 weeks time?

If they are pests what do I do?

LR 1.jpg

LR2.jpg

You want those dead. :m12:

You need to get rid of them before they spread to other rocks, very much an unwanted pest in aquariums.

Thanks guys. I found this...

Will it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
There is nothing in the tank apart from the 2 rocks hehe. So was just getting stuff off the rock and letting the tank cycle.

You could also hammer and chisel off the bits of rock they are attached to. If you leave any remnants of them on the rock they are likely to grow again. :(

I think that boiling water way is brilliant I have a few that I am gona sort out over the weekend

I recently got an Aiptasia Wand.
Must admit, it is the most fun way to get rid of them. Feels so.... lekker.

Leave the AiptasiaX... I used it and it burned my zoas... Lets just say my zoas wasnt bullet proof any more...:(

I used it and it burned my zoas
did you switch your powerheads off?

Aiptasia-X works on all anemone like animals. I used it to control a colonial anemone I had a while back.

Back
Top Bottom