What is this and how do i get rid of it

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by Dillan, 27 Dec 2012.

1. Dillan

Dillan

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chas84

chas84

Bryopsis?

4. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

You asking or telling :tt2:

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Im going with bryopsis as well.
    Do yourself a favour & immediately remove that rock & any other piece of rock that has any of it from your tank. They are extremely intrusive & overgrow almost anything. If a piece gets broken off & gets blown onto a coral or other rock, it settles there & starts a new growth area.
    No fish or invert can completely get rid of it & if you leave it there, you will soon have yourself a nice green bryopsis tank!
    I know some reefers never get any problems with bryopsis, but ive lost about 15 coral frags in my first marine tank & had to rebuild the entire tank with new liverock to get rid of it.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Im going with bryopsis as well.
    Do yourself a favour & immediately remove that rock & any other piece of rock that has any of it from your tank. They are extremely intrusive & overgrow almost anything. If a piece gets broken off & gets blown onto a coral or other rock, it settles there & starts a new growth area.
    No fish or invert can completely get rid of it & if you leave it there, you will soon have yourself a nice green bryopsis tank!
    I know some reefers never get any problems with bryopsis, but ive lost about 15 coral frags in my first marine tank & had to rebuild the entire tank with new liverock to get rid of it.

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

There is a method that very rarely work completely. It involves raising your magnesium level to 1800ppm & keeping it there for a couple of weeks but can be lethal to some of your livestock.
    I have tried it but could never really completely kill the bryopsis.

8. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Thanks Visser I am also with the Bryopsis and its now tolate to remove that rock or the rest as its all over my tank i manualy removed 7kgs of it :eek:, its every where mut not in my sump.

I read up about it and saw the raised mag levels as an option , my tank is new like 3 months and i was away and returned to a green lawn lucky have not lost anything but will manual trim.

I cant remove every thing so here comes a sea hair, 4 naso tangs 5 lawnmower bleenies ect

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is it hard? Like fishing line? If yes, then Briopsis. They are really hard to get rid off.

10. Marine1

Marine1

peroxide 30, read one members article . Okay another question : I got some frags with Bryopsis on , pulled off and scrubbed of what i could see ....what are the chances of it growing in my tank

Last edited: 28 Dec 2012
  11. mrgert

mrgert

I have the same problem on a few rocks,tagging along

12. chas84

chas84

Suggesting.

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Make sure you get the root as well. No point in breaking it off.
    Using a screwdriver, remove it. Even if you need to sacrifice a the top layer of the rock.

14. durleo

durleo

use the peroxide method in a separate container and dip the rock for a few minutes. I have personally had a bryopsis issue and reverted to taking those rocks out and drying them in the sun for a few days before putting them back in the sump to re seed them. The other thing you can do is use hot RO water in a syringe and burn it . I find this used to soften it then the tangs would munch on it. Eventually I cured my system . I also used the raised magnesium. If you can get a hold of kent tech magnesium it is said to be the only thing that works as long as you keep dosing it.

15. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

I know was joking :thumbup:

Its not that hard and grow in a bush, but do seed as i have them in my frag tank as well sorry @Marine1 if i pull on a bush thats on a rock the whole "plant" comes off,as long as i pull from low down.

If i pull on the top i break the strands off.

I have a rabbit fox in my frag tank as he was sick when i got him looked half dead i left him there before i went away with instruction if he floats throw him away. I returned and WOW he is huge happy and healthy. This morning i saw him munching on this stuf and has cleaned a nice area. His shitis also DARK green so maybe he will sort the frag tank out with a Tang or 2.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I have had success removing bryopsis by raising the MG . Only Kent Tech works - I have tried it with other MG supplements and it does not work. Remember to raise it slowly. Manually removing as much while raising the MG also helps a lot. With patience and a bit of hard work it is possible to get rid of it. Good luck @Dillan

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Dillan

Dillan Thread Starter

Thanks man will do

Recent Posts