What is the max transport period of corals and nennies?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by arab NA, 23 Apr 2009.

1. arab NA

arab NA

As I live in Walvis Bay Namibia it takes two days +/- for a courier to reach me.So I want to know if the is a way to make them reach me alive???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Corals, fish or invertebrates

4. arab NA

arab NA Thread Starter

Corals and invertebrates

5. martinhal

martinhal

I had 3 frags of hard coral sent from Cape Town via speed services. Droped at post office Tuesday morning ..... after a bit of a f... .p at the PO got into my tank Thursday night . All survided and are doing well.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If you are going to get anemone's shipped then your best chance will probably be to ship them 'dry', not totally dry but get the person to fan the anemone so that it closes up in the tank, then remove the nennie and place it in a bag with about 10mm of water in, Anthony Calfo recommends shipping them this way if it is going to be longer than normal shipping as there is less chance of the anenmone polluting the water and causing a lethal ammonia buildup, but personally I think you might be pushing it a bit with 2 days, is there no way you can use airport cargo?

I once posted a pink hysterix sps coral to Vishaal, I sent it off on Friday afternoon thinking it would arrive Saturday morning but the lovely lady behind the counter didn't tell me that I had to pay extra for Saturday Delivery, so the coral sat there from Friday and was only delivered on Monday morning, roughly about 70 hours, unbelievably the coral survived, so there are exceptions to the rule, you should be prepared for losses though. Perhaps do a test run on one coral and see how it goes. Investigate dry shipping of corals as well, they do it a lot in the states.

7. lIghty

lIghty

Also, try get them packed with oxygen, it will help, but you are pushing the envelope...

Try Coastal Couriers Tel 064 400921, I believe they do overnight service?

Recent Posts