What i used to get rid of Bryopsis...

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Braco, 2 Aug 2011.

1. Braco

Braco

I went and bought some Hydrogen Peroxide 30 volume and mixed this into a 500ml RO water spray bottle with a solution ratio 1:3...1=Hydrogen & 3=RO Water.

• Each rock which contains the briopsis or any kind of algae i removed from my DT and placed in a bucket with some DT water to rinse it off later.
    • The solution which i mixed i spray the entire rock with it all over the briopsis or algae
    • Certain rocks had Zoa's, Barley Polyps, Yuma Ricordia's and Daisy's growing on it.
    • All these corals close once removed from the water i sprayed all around the yuma's but really gave it a good spray on all of them.
    • I then left the rocks standing on the table for about 1-2minutes you will see small bubbles forming throughout the algae.
    • I then rinse it off in the bucket with the DT water and place it back into the DT.
    • About 8-10 hrs later you will see that the briopsis turns white and with the flow in your tank gets ripped of the rock and or like in my case the CUC came to clean up the rock further.
    I hope this helps but please also bear in mind that if you should spray this on rocks with coraline algae the coraline will turn white...but should be back in no time..

I have done this twice already and even used a cloth damped it in Hydrogen Peroxide to and wiped my DT front glass..also be aware that if you are going to be dosing this at a later stage it can kill off all macro algae growing in your sump or tank.

Since i have clean my rocks i had no more huge algae problems although there are patches here and there but nothing to worry about or alarming as to take over my corals as before.

Please by mindful that this has worked for me..and it is only my 2 cents worth sharing..

Louis Scheepers and Dane like this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Great info, worth at least 5 cents!;):p

4. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the extra 3 cents appreciate it..lol:thumbup::tt2:

5. KeeganP

KeeganP

Thanks man, Where do you get Hydrogen Peroxide from? and If I have a side glass full of GHA will it be possible to spray it in the tank? wont it harm my fish?

6. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

I buy from the local pharmacy hydrogen peroxide(HP) 30 volume.
    The reason for me writing it at 30 volume is there are other strengths available there are 40 volume and 10 volume i make use of the 30 volume.
    I wouldn't spray this in the tank itself as it would kills off the good algae as well as all your coraline algae...rather scrape it off first and then take a damp cloth with (HP) on and wipe it...do this at once 2 weeks or so and soon no more briopsys..at least that's what do...

7. KeeganP

KeeganP

So this only kills algae...? no harm to fish or other corals? thanks alot bud,
    will give it a try.

8. Dane

Dane

I'm sure it will do damage to any livestock, so be careful in application and make sure you dont put tonnes of the stuff back in your dt. sounds promising tho!

9. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

As far as i have used it all Polyps, Zoa's and Mushrooms and whatever coral i used it on are all in perfect healthy conditions...i wouldn't advise now to go and spray on any purposely...but even so my yuma ricodia's closed up gave off a slime coat and are fully extended again..the fish has shown no ill effects what so ever..

Everything i take out to do some maintenance on in my DT i spray with HP...except the fish off course..lol

10. KeeganP

KeeganP

lol cool thanks guys.

11. hermie

hermie

If you accidentally get a bit of hydrogen peroxide into your DT I wouldn't think it would do damage as it decomposes to water and oxygen anyway.

Here's a bit of chemistry for you

2H2O2 [​IMG]2H2O + O2(g)

Those bubbles that you see when you put it on the rock is the above reaction taking place (hydrogen peroxide being turned into water and oxygen).:thumbup: It makes for a good disinfectant as it kills bacteria.
    Thought I would add some random trivia to this post :tt2:

12. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Awesome! Thanks for posting! Maybe we finally found an answer, if I ever have Briopsis again, I will try this!

13. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

Good to know my 2 + 3 cents could help others...lol;)

14. KeeganP

KeeganP

beneficial bacteria also?

15. hermie

hermie

Probably so don't go too crazy with the stuff. But I suppose it's with all treatments where everything should be in moderation...

@Braco great thread by the way, I will definitely try this if I ever have a problem

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

Yes please don't overdose it or make it too strong i cannot tell you that nothing will be harmed if you going to go a bit crazy...:p

17. Tony

Tony

Hydrogen peroxide like ozone and potassium permangeanate is an oxidiser. The nice thing is that it breaks down into oxygen and water. Use 30 percent peroxide in a power failure at a dose of 15ml per hundred litres every four hours to oxygenate the tank. Mix it in with your hand. It has saved me many times. Add a drop or two to a bag of water that you are shipping a fish in or to the bag of a fish you have just received.

There is no harm to the bio filter

Dane likes this.
  18. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

Thanks Tony...another useful way of utilizing Hydrogen Peroxide.;)

19. KeeganP

KeeganP

20. 2balive

2balive

Also great to clean cuts, blisters, etc. Specially works well on coral and crayfish cuts when you dive. Bubbles like crazy if their is "bad" stuff in it. I would not use it on a open wound though.

21. 2balive

2balive

NB, I use 10% concentration for this.

Recent Posts