What I have been up to .......

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by FransSny, 5 Dec 2011.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Ok so most of you know that the shallow lagoon is giving me some issues, so I decided to change things a bit....;)

DT: 800 x 800 x 600 h, clear silicone (makes the cube look bigger), drilled return , water change etc. 50 mm overflow and 32 mm emergency overflow

Filtration will be NP biopellets, moerse oversized skimmer , PO4 & carbon reactor...

Lighting , planned was 150 MH ...changing to 250..

Stocking will be as per my sponsor request, some mixed reef for fun

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

Jippy!!! Tagging!

Will bring some LS on the 28th

4. erratiC

erratiC

Hey Frans. Please excuse my ignorance here but why are you doing a PO4 reactor with NP Pellets?

5. Seabass

Seabass

Tag

6. Dewald@Dorry

Dewald@Dorry

Good luck with the build.

PO4 and NP?

7. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

This will only be untill the pellets have kicked in ....and I am not 100 % sold on them yet :p

8. erratiC

erratiC

Lol, how you going to know when they've kicked in if you're running a PO4 at the same time? :tt2:

9. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Finally water is starting to go in !!!!

10. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

woot woot

11. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

due to a small leak on the water change outlet the sump and tank have been running separate until today....looks like its finally sorted. Been dosing Microbelift Special Blend & Nite Out II to kick start the system.

Tomorrow live beach sand is going in and rest of the LR for the sump (about 5 kg's is in already). I will also be doing a 100 L WC between old system and new...

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

and?

13. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

been staring at the empty tank for a hour ...contemplating next move :whistling:

14. Bluemotion

Bluemotion

Tagging along

15. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Today's plan is to add substrate , I use normal seasand as it's free and here by me very clean. I will also start transferring rocks from the shallow reef to the cube (the shallow reef will then basically become a frag tank untill the cube is ready)

Due to my own neglect (and using crappy RO...should have replaced the membranes a while back) , I have a outbreak of GHA which is slowly coming under control , but being the impatient reefer I want it gone NOW so I will cover the cube in black plastic for a week to block out all light as it is receiving some morning sun

Now to figure out a way of stacking my rocks for aquascaping purposes...:whistling:

16. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

A quick pic to update ....

[​IMG]

I will start transferring LR tomorrow :yeahdude:The Seio currently in there is just temporary (actually this will go to mixing station), Tunze will replace it once corals and fish are moved over

17. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

I would not recommend using sand from our ocean, unless you intend setting up an abalone and crayfish biotope. Different shape, different composition, different biota, different everything. Expect some die off.......

Regarding the GHA issue you are having, covering the tank in black will have a significant effect on the life of the algae, but have you considered what happend to the nutrients tied up in the tissue of the algae post mortem...... Do you have sufficient nutrient export mechanisms in place to prevent the rock polluting your new tank/(s)?

I know patience is a biatch and not a virtue to some of us, but it is what it is, a prerequisite.
    Yes there are ways to speed up things, but then it must be done properly. Grab a drum of water per day to rinse old rocks in and do some scrubbing. A few water changes and strong skimming will be a lot more efficient than killing the algae in situ.

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

Ha ha can see fransickle was bored.

19. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments , I am well aware of the die off that is to be expected from using beach sand. In my experience it is however so minimal that there is no effect.

I was considering scrubbing the rocks but I think (personal opinion) that actually creates more issues and causes quite a loss in terms of life on the rocks itself

As for patience...yip you are correct, it is a prerequisite but there are ways and means .....just not someting I will advocate to all

ha ha glensickle , no the shallow tank was just becoming a PITA....running the Tunze on 40 % power is like driving a ferrari in reverse the whole time :p

20. toppdogg

toppdogg

21. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

its looking good Frans.you were meant to sell me that nano:lol::lol: Will you be running a chiller?

Recent Posts