What I got for X-Mas

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by FransSny, 13 Jan 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Hi guys..been off the site for a while keeping busy with my new project and now i need a bit of advice from the experts out there...I was lucky enough to get a nice big new tank and sump for X-Mas +\- 650 L as an early gift(bought enough jewelery for the wife!...maybe they start feeling guilty). Filled with sand and RO, got SG right and then added some of my "old tanks water and moved over some LR. It has been running since start december and i have only done "small" water changes...not even a whole 10 % /week. End of december I moved my softies and my 3 fish (1x lawnmower blenny, 1X P Volitans & 1X dwarf lion). up to now my water paramaters have stayed the same...with only ph fluctuating between 8.4 & 8.6, the rest is within spec (even a bit too "sterile"..no PO4, NH4, NH2, NH3 etc etc) thus my question...should i start with the "normal" water change regime..or stay going at the rate i am and just keep an eye on things ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Good on you. Keep us posted, and remember the pics

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Congrats Frans!

How long have the new tank been "in place" - running, so far?

You might just still get a spike SOMEWHERE down the line....

So, I actually want to suggest - IF you are VERY strict at your measurements - stop doing water changes for now - let the "cycle" go it's course. Because, if you continue with the water changes as you have up till now (not a bad thing though), then the FULL NUTRIENT cycle cannot go it's course....
    So, just keep on monitoring your water paramaters.... but leave the tank be, for now.... just keep up with the fresh water topups....

Your cycle will HAVE to be done with, at some stage.....

5. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

Thanks Jaques...tanks been running fior about 5 weeks althouh first week it was only running saltwater, started adding some LR after that. Im also thinking to hold on for a while with water changes as the "sterile' environment doesnt seem natural...even my skimmmate is very clear (low bioload though....drawback of keeping lions)...think i'll just keep testing regular intervals and decide from what the results show

Recent Posts