What heaters are reliable/safe?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dorry_, 17 Oct 2010.

1. Dorry_

Dorry_

All

I need some advice on what heaters are reliable and safe. Our first tank is a Boyu TL550. A number of weeks ago we replaced the heater with a Dophin 150W, as the original heater supplied with the Boyu would only switch on at around 24 deg C and switch off at more than 27 deg C.

The Dophin seemed to control through a smaller temperature range, but in last week it exploded. Fortunately not in the main tank, but in in the rear chamber where it is mounted. It tripped the electricity sometime during the night which I only discovered the next morning. First I switched it back on again, and it started arcing and there was a terrible smell like an electric fire in the room before it tripped again. All the soft corals were hanging, but the fish looked OK. The bottom section where the elements are mounted had to be fished out from the bottom of the chamber. The ammonia levels were sky high, and it took 3 days of replacing almost all the water before it came down again.

So far nothing has died, but I certainly do not want a repeat of this experience.

In our 2nd tank we asked the LFS for the best heater on the market, and were advised to buy a Jager. Maybe the lectronics are better, but how about the glass?

Are there any heaters with something other than the glass tube locally, as this is most certainly the most fragile portion of the assembly? On US websites I have seen mention made of Titanium tubes, but have never seen this locally.

Before you start suggesting that we may have bumped or damaged it, this is certainly not the case, as it is mounted in a chamber behind the tank.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Helga

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I have used the Jagers for years, but yes they do go faulty from time to time and you do have to be creful of the glass tube, but i have found them to be the best available to the hobby market.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2010
  4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Jager are most definitely one of, if not the best heater to have, in my opinion. I currently have 3 in my reef and I don't use any kind of temperature controller, they are pretty much spot on with their temperature range and you just can't beat German engineering.

They are quite long though so you will have to check that they will fit in your nano tank.

5. Pete

Pete

Agree on the jager heaters. If you are looking for the titanium heaters then you will have to look at the aqua medic heaters but as far as I know you will have to get a contoller for that, you can try Idol Marine for those as they are the Aqua medic retailer up here in Gauteng.

6. roderigo

roderigo

Just wanted to know Iv got a 4 yera old haeter but it have white cristals in the tube is this normal haeter still works ???

7. rakabos

rakabos

Jager yes, but most ones these days are ok, just put in 2 in case one fails

8. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I'm usin a 300W fluval heater I got from the UK with a digital temp readout, its great, the backlight display turns red when its goes over set temp or blue when under. Really sets me at ease.

9. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sounds like your heater may have had a bit of a leak and the salt water has evaporated and left behind salt crystals? If so then probably a good idea to look at buying a new one, there have been many stories of tanks being wiped out due to faulty heaters, I can't imagine salt being any good inside a heater what with all that electricity running around inside it.

10. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Was thinking about heaters, the heating element at the bottom does not contain a sensor, the top part does, if the sensor is exposed, the heater will stay on rite? causing massive temp rise and tank wipeout.

Recent Posts