What Hat To Wear

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by Nemos Janitor, 19 Dec 2011.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This is something that has bothered me recently and i am not sure how to address it. Hopefully in a constructive way without rebuite.

There are many members that wear different hats regarding their activities on MASA. This thread is not about finger pointing or slamming anyone. It is about the members that wear "Different Hats" and what other members perceive, and a suggestion of points of views.

In taking this thread forward i suggest that I be used as an example and other members be excluded unless they volunteer inclusion. So please do not bring anyone into the discussion unless they are willing.

A little background first. My hat "Nemos Janitor" as a reefer was registered on many forums, including MASA long before i became a sponsor on MASA.

So the first "HAT" i wore was one of a hobbyist.

The second "HAT" I wore, was that of a sponsor. Nemos Installations.

The third "HAT" I wear is that of a wholesale sponsor.

The fourth "HAT" I wear is one of a proudly South African Citizen.

This, multi hat scenario, often leads to misunderstandings in communication. I can be talking from a hobbyist point of view and reefers think it is from a sponsors point of view. The same applies for other multi hat wearers.

Out side of my next question it will be interesting to hear other views.

@Mods is it possible to have a "HAT" button so that us multi hat wearers can click on when posting. This button can then change the "status" thing under the members name on that post.

OR should us multi HAT wearers have separate user names.

Thoughts

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

I agree its very hard to wear the correct hat at the “perceived” correct time. Last night @maj provided the perfect example.

I got a very panicky PM and text asking if I could help, as some of you know we are wholesaler and do not supply the public directly, immediately my hobbyist hat went on and I told him to meet me at my warehouse and take what he needs to sort out the problem. I also refused payment as we can’t supply directly.

On a personal note – it makes me feel all soft and squishy inside to know I helped a fellow hobbyist out. I guess what I am trying to say is that for me the hobbyist hat is always the one that I try and wear.

Last edited: 20 Dec 2011
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Well, even for me. I got the same 2 hats situation. Firstly, I'm a reefer / hobbyist/ addicted. And that is how I got involved in MASA and I must admit, learned a lot. I do a lot of DIY and gained a lot of experience through trial and error. And will pass ideas on to whoever could use them, advice to those who need them.

But then, I'm a moderator as well. And can be seen as the fun police, or enforcer.

Giving advice on anything, is that seen with the viewpoint as me as a reefer or as a moderator? Also I have the feeling that advice given by me, could be seen as "super" advise by new reefers (use of the word "super" only due to lack of better description - please do not quote). I'm not better than others. Lot of guys around here that got a lot more value to offer MASA than me. Also, I have to be careful in what advise I do give, as some likes to take on the "police" and nail them if they can.

But at the end of the day, comments should be evaluated and rated by the comment itself, not by the person giving it. Neither by the hat of the person. Must be seen in context with the thread's discussion.

5. Jeann1

Jeann1

This is always a "touchy" subject imho. Not in Marine aspects only. We have the same thing here at work, you have to have certian "hats" to keep certian people happy... sucks to be honest as value adds should be recognised no matter who\what\in what capacity the person is.

The main problem is you are always judged by 1. The multiple aliases as suggested could be a great idea for the sponsors.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2011
  6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I feel the same...:blush:
    OH WOW..I saw this Thread and bypassed it everytime...:p...then I come back and read another Post again...:p I unfortunately do see both sides of the scenario, but will contribute hopefully only with MHO on the "HAT" BUTTON...

I do understand the "hat" scenario and in my overall humble opinion don't think it would really make a difference...I have noticed that the "wording" or "tone" of replies towards "Sponsors" and/or "Moderator's" differ..I would not state...say...my opinion on a certain reply a Sponsor/Moderator posted, quite the same way as I would with a "normal" MASA Member...regardless of whether you are posting under "Hobbyist" or Sponsor"...in the end, you are still "one of the Sponsors"...or..."one of the Moderator's....:blush:

7. Yuri

Yuri

[​IMG]
    :p I was just not able to resist

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Ok here is my reefer hat.

[​IMG]

this is my Nemos installations Hat.

[​IMG]

Triple five hat

[​IMG]

Proudly SA Hat

[​IMG]

10. dallasg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA - very cool!!

11. maj

maj

Fully agree,was easy enuff for Henk to act as a wholesaler and blatantly refuse,but he
    Then chose his hobbyist hat and decide to help a fellow reefer.

Funnily enuff we spoke about this issue lastnite

12. dallasg

what sparked this off?

i have no issues with sponsors being hobbiests, and hobbiests being sponsors, as long as the advice helps who cares about the hat...

yes every sponsor is pro their equipment, i would be worried if they werent, but to-date i have never seen an issue here, maybe the odd commercial post in public forums but that is about it

Annoying likes this.
  13. Yuri

Yuri

I must include there are sponsors that do not know much
    But Keth is a grate guy and I alway enjoy his comments ( he know what he wrights about )

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

:blush: Thank you Yuri.

15. dallasg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

You seem confused?

butcherman likes this.
  17. seank

seank