What fish??

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 30 Oct 2008.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Hi guys, Well my clown passed away yesterday :(.

So I am left with only my yellow tail damsel in the tank. What i want to know is what hardy fish would be better than a clown, I just think i must stay away from them for a while dont want to lose another one. And what fish would not be attacked by my damsel. Do fish ever attack shrimps? Well i know I had 2 black perculas to start with that i had to get rid of cause they were so aggressive they tried to take out my cleaner shrimp when i first got him. The reason i ask is cause i dont want to get any other fish that may hirt any other shrimps i buy in the future, as i have said before i want to get a harlequin shrimp.

Another question is, later when my tank is more mature i want a manderin, but i hear its not advised to keep them in Nano's as there is generally not enough copods for them to eat even in a mature tank. Is this correct? How else could i harvest them to keep a manderin in my tank?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

How long has your tank been running and what are your params ?

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Sorry to hear man, any idea why or how he died?
    Harlequin shrimps mostly eat sea stars ;)

Moderate lighting and temperatures between 72 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit (23 to 26 degrees Celsius) are acceptable for Harlequin Shrimp. A pH value of 8.3 or 8.4 and a specific gravity between 1.023 and 1.025 are also ideal. Levels of iodine should be maintained to avoid problems with molting. Copper based medications should not be used in tanks where Harlequin Shrimp are housed. Extreme nitrate levels are also unacceptable. Harlequin Shrimp are best kept in pairs, and should not be kept with sea stars or urchins that are not intended to be food. Plenty of hiding places should be provided, and substrates should be made of rocks or coral rubble. Harlequin Shrimp should be fed a diet of sea stars, as this is their natural nourishment. Some will accept other food items in captivity. It is widely agreed that Linckia species are ideal for juvenile Harlequin Shrimp, while adults are usually offered the species Asterias rubens. ;)

Yes, Manderins need a mature tank with loads of copepods and amphopods to survive, they only eat live foods and can deplete the "pod stock" in a small tank very quickly. What may be a good addition to any tank that has a manderin, is to have a mature refugium where live pods can be bread and so supply the main tank :)

5. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

The Clown wasnt eating since the time i got him, with MASA help i tried many different things to get him to eat, but with no success.

Tank has been running for 3 and a half months now. Salinity is roughly 1.022-1.025, Nitrates are between 15 and 20 ppm. Dont acctually know my pH havent checked it since the first month cause i dont have a test for it. Lighting etc should be fine for the shrimps - ouch! ideally a pair? thats a fair amount of money xD

What fish would be fine for my 35L tank at this stage with my dasmsel already settled? Dont want it to attack any new tank members.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Nitrates are a bit too high. How much water and how regularly do you do a water change?

I would say rather get rid of the damsel, they are too territorial - Personally I don't like them :p

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

35L/10 Gallon tank, do about a 10%-33% water change every 2 weeks. Been using RO water with sea salt for water changes, but am going to start with NSW from this weekend, as i hear this is better for my tank.

Shame I like the damsel, he's pretty harmless atm, but depends how he reacts with new fish.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

hey Kun just my 2c i have never heard anything positive ever on blue damsel fish the damsel fish that are not terrors are from the chromis species

9. marine101

marine101

Dude i love damsel! The best advice i can give u is to lightly fry it in some olive oil, add some Cajun spice. Delicious. As sam says, u cant go wrong.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

lol poor damsels...u guys are a bunch of haters! :lol:

11. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Damsels and nano`s....... bad idea, it will attack any newcomer, get it out.

12. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:lol::lol:

13. teez

teez

try taking a water sample to LPS and they should test it for free for u

14. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

get rid of the damsel the rest of yourfish will live longer!!!!!!!

15. teez

teez

:lol::lol::lol:

i'd say add a tang that is bigger than him and you will be sorted.

16. crispin

crispin

ok teez may well be kidding, but just to make sure, you cannot as in CANNOT add a tang to a nano.

and next time research your fish before putting them in, if all u want is a damsel, then you are fine, esle that was a bad buy, even more so if you used him to check if the tanks right just because its a damsel.

for the record I gave a yellow tailed blue damsel to warr a while back and its a perfect fish in his tank. Not all damsels are terrors, especially if placed in appropriate tanks

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

Dont worry i am fully aware that a tang cant go in my tank:).

I did research my fish a damsel was what i wanted i didnt buy him cause he was hardy and what work well for a new tank .

Like many ppl have said they are not always aggressive as far as i am concerned he is pretty placid, doesnt even chase my cleaner shrimp when he goes inside his cave. I was merely asking a precautionary question with regard to what would be ok with him. I really dont want to remove him from my tank.

18. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish

Maybe a Midas Blenny would be a good idea? Full of character! Or a pair of Bangaii Cardinals? Or even if you can get a Royal Gramma, that might look cool (just watch out for some dottybacks, they look almost the same, but are terrors).

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Not all fish from the same species are aggressive - you can have 2 of the same fish in different tanks, the one will be aggressive and the other won't. I had 2 dottybacks previously and they were not aggressive at all, other people say those blue damsels are ok where by me it killed one of my other fish in my first tank.
    I had 5 clowns in my 6 foot tank (a maroon, a percular, tomato, clarkie and a saddle back) and there were no fighting, injuries or casualties. Some guys here had bad luck with more than one clown :p
    I think it differs from fish to fish, and we tend to look at the species behaviour in general just to be safe - which is a good thing ;)
    The more aggressive fish you usually add last in the display :)

20. scubaninja

scubaninja

a mandarin in a nano. there is something that has been sparking up big debates. the issue there is as mentioned, thy can deplete your supply of copepods really quickly. you need a very large amount to sustain them and it may be a bit cruel to place one in a nano. just my 2c here. I think i was told once that they need about +- 80kgs of LR to go into a tank to be able to sustain them. so id stay away from them. a dwarf lionfish will be good:) sort out your damsel problem:)haha. seriously, a blenny of some kind will be cool

21. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

They say u can keep a mandarin in a nano if u supply it with copepods etc from another tank or from rock pools...alas this is not something I want to try at this stage :(.

They got Midas blennies in atm, but LFS was talking to someone else equiring about them and may not be a good idea for coral tank with a fine substrate as they could coat the corals. true? My fiance likes the cardinals...not so sure myself.

How are Wrasses? would a 6 line wrasse be ok in my tank, just one that i thought was pretty cool. Also been thinking of getting a new clown...but not sure with the luck i have had. A maroon or a clarkii should hold its own with the damsel shouldnt it?

Recent Posts