What fish for 400L - 6ft

Reaction score
HI all

as you know i am still researching on converting the 6ft tank to marine what i would like to know is what species can i keep the tank dimensions are 1800*450W*500.

I am looking for fish that would have great personalities are hardy and easy to feed as i dont want them starving ;)

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sailfin tangs, yellow tangs, blennie's, goby's, some pygmy angels (coral beauty's, bi-color)...
NO butterflies, regal angels, emperor angels, regal tangs, powder blue / brown tangs...

If you want: clown-fish, chromis (damsels fight - unless you have a LOT of damsels, then the fighting should be minimal)....

Reaction score
Sailfin tangs, yellow tangs, blennie's, goby's, some pygmy angels (coral beauty's, bi-color)...
NO butterflies, regal angels, emperor angels, regal tangs, powder blue / brown tangs...
do u mean No as in i Cant keep them

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
they are either not reef safe or are very hard to keep

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
do u mean No as in i Cant keep them
Ditto to what Ocean said - they are either notorious for dying, OR they eat coral polyps.... OR (in the regal/powder blue/brown tangs' case) they get whitespot - sometimes to badly that they either die, or infect the other fish....

AND - some of these are just meant to be in tanks that have been matured for AT LEAST a year or more!

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mekaeel - MOST butterflies you get at LFS' are usually EXTREMELY difficult to get to feed. And MOST of them die after one week of keeping them in our tanks, because they would not feed.

Just remember that you are VERY lucky, that you catch butterflies (mostly) from South African waters..... They might be different in the fact that they eat readily (maybe)....

BUT NOT the one's that are imported and sold by LFS'......

Reaction score
thanks for the info gents, Yo mekaeel once my tank is sorted u think u can sort me out with 1 or 2 of those butterflies?