What fish first in a FOWLR system.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by carlosdeandrade, 30 Jul 2012.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

So in a approximately 3 weeks my RSM 250, with a sump, and a total water volume of 240 litres will be mature enough to add one or two fish, which fish do you guys suggest, keen to go for fish like angels, lions, triggers and the like.
    let me know.
    Carlos

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

What kind of angels, and triggers in a 240L tank sounds a bit dodgy

4. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

That's why I am asking, should I stay away from these, maybe get them as juveniles and then sell as they out grow the tank, I am open to all suggestions, tell me what you think.

5. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Hmm yeah not a good size for angels and triggers. Only options are the smaller species.

Most Centropyge are tough, but you probably don't want one in first because of aggression. Small lions are indestructible, but if you've got aggressive or greedy tankmates then they're not going to get enough food in the long run. Pretty much all triggers will outgrow you, but a Bluethroat might be an option because they're peaceful and very slow growing.

Halichoeres wrasses are quite hardy and very peaceful. Might be a good one to start with and you have a ton of colour choices (just avoid the big species like H. hortulanus).

Another fish I highly recommend is the Comet (Calloplesiops altivelis). They're pretty shy at first, but it's a stunning fish and super hardy and peaceful. Have had mine for years now.

One of the less aggressive species of hawkfish would also be a good starter. Flame and longnose hawks are awesome. Just be sure your tank is covered because they're infamous jumpers.

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice @Lord_Blackadder, some really pretty fish you suggested!:1:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts