What filtration

Reaction score
WHATS THE BEST FILTRATION TO USE FOR A SMALL MARINE TANK. I MEAN SMALL 1M BY 450 BY 500. I WAS THINKING LIVE ROCK AND A GOOD PROTEIN SKIMMER. CLASSIC BERLIN SYSTEM BUT IV HEARD THERE SOME NITRATE FILTER GADGET THAT ALLOWS YOU TO KEEP MORE FISH THAN YOU SHOULD. HOW MUCH LIVE ROCK SHOULD BE USED.:yeahdude:

LR is the best filteration.a decent skimmer is an essential IMO.
in a tank your size,i would say aboput 15-20kgs LR will be more than enough.
creating a DSB about 12-15cm will help in nitrate reduction.but at the same time you cannot over stock a tank.

LR is the best filteration.a decent skimmer is an essential IMO.
in a tank your size,i would say aboput 15-20kgs LR will be more than enough.
creating a DSB about 12-15cm will help in nitrate reduction.but at the same time you cannot over stock a tank.

I did a DSB on my system and it worked wonders! Nuisance algae seems to dissappear...

Hi Quade - a sufficient DSB is made of sand (at this stage any sand with the following requirement, as long as the sand does not/will not leach chemicals) with particle sizes between 0.05mm and 1mm in size. The more diverse the sizes of the sand particles, the better for micro critter diversity.....
The sand bed has to be between 120mm and 150mm to work as an efficient DSB filter (to break down ammonia to nitrites - nitrites to nitrates AND nitrates to nitrogen and oxygen!

Ok thanks but my problem is a have a single chamber sump. Another question with the size tank i have what lighting can i use? iv got metal halide and were the best place to by in cape town?

Hi Quade - a sufficient DSB is made of sand (at this stage any sand with the following requirement, as long as the sand does not/will not leach chemicals) with particle sizes between 0.05mm and 1mm in size. The more diverse the sizes of the sand particles, the better for micro critter diversity.....
The sand bed has to be between 120mm and 150mm to work as an efficient DSB filter (to break down ammonia to nitrites - nitrites to nitrates AND nitrates to nitrogen and oxygen!

Jacques, the bacteria actually consumes the oxygen, leaving Nitrogen to escape into the atmosphere.

Hi Warr - that is possible, and quite probable, that a certain amount of oxygen gets consumed, BUT not all oxygen is consumed by the bacteria. Remember - the bacteria in the lower/lowest regions of the DSB is anoxic/an-aerobic. They do not live of oxygen. Only the bacteria in the upper regions lives off oxygen....

Ok seems like im talking to you on two differant post ive done, sorry. so you say no metal halide not even if its on for a few hours a day?

Hi Quare - no - I was saying that you can indeed use the Osram 10000K 150 watt double ended globe. I just meant to say that you should also add either blue/actinic T5's or T8's, to supplement the coloration and to bring out the color of the corals and fish more.....

Hi guys Im still a little confussed about the DSB. I have a single chamber sump so how can i achieve a DSB. AT the moment my tank is running ok dont see any proplems. My skimmer is working well. Will post pics as soon as i get a chance.

You can always try the in-bucket method DSB. Just a water can or something with the sand in. Have a smaller pump running from that single chamber sump into the drum/bucket and overflow back...

Search the DIY threads, I'm sure I saw a nice thread there on it woth nice pics...

Back
Top Bottom