What Ext HDD or MultiMedia unit?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by lIghty, 15 Jun 2009.

1. lIghty

lIghty

Hi All

Needing to get an external HDD for my laptop, was looking at the USB powered 2.5" drives but find the limiting at only 500GB, so started to look at the mains powered 3.5" units, found the 3.5" units to be more bang for buck at only 1TB-R1200 and the 1.5TB-R1700 Vs the 2.5" 500GB-R1300 (all Seagate), but this got me thinking, would it not be worth my while just buying one of these "Multimedia" units that can be used as a Ext HDD and Movie Player on the TV?

Bearing in mind I do already have a LG HDD Recorder.

Those how have or know about these units, Please give your thoughts!

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hi lIghty - multimedia units are awesome dude - they just a schlep to work with at first depending on the software that comes with it but work very nice - huge HD's are nice - the only thing is remember to keep them cool otherwise you got a whole lot of info going of the deep end at once! If I were you invest in a decent aluminium cased one and watch out for new technology that has not prove itself on the market as yet - you dont want to try and recover 1.5 TB of data just because the unit couldn't handle the heat! Maybe look at two units slightly smaller but have stood the test of time. I have 3 x 750 gigs and bought them after 6 months of being in production in decent externals - work like a bomb!

4. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thanks Chikaboo, thats good advise!

5. toppdogg

toppdogg

lighty i am in the pc game in my spare time i find the that the 2.5" drives tend to give probs when you have had them for a while the 3.5" is defs the way to go because if you want to get a multimedia housing at a later stage you can put a 3.5" drive into the housing and it works like a bomb. media housings to look for are the mvix and the samsung media mate as they come with remote controls and plug directly into the av of your tv so realy cool
    good luck

6. moz

moz

If it does not have to be portable, look at a NAS device. We have one at the office that takes 4x1TB HD's.

7. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Thx Moz, but don't think I'll need that much.:p

I feel the Mvix is overpriced, yes it has some nice features but can't justify paying that much. Googled The Samsung media mate, could find anything?:whistling:

What you think of the following unit, both have Dolby Digital 5.1 support:)

Vizo Technology Corp - About R1100 (Exc
    HDD, but can take upto a 1.5TB)
    http://www.techdigital.co.za/p34196/Iomega-ScreenPlay-HD-Multimedia-Player-34196.aspx - About R1750 (but is only 500GB)

8. Ross

Ross

I use the MVix 780Hd.
    This is a great unit and got some very nice features.
    Nice when we go away, I have all our movies and music on it, my daughter has over 260 DVD, and she can watch when we are away and in the car with the MVix connected to the portable DVD player.

I would however not bother with the 780, the WiFi is just a waste of time.

9. toppdogg

toppdogg

viso looks good. The iomega is a good player only heard good things about both will do what you need its a personal preferance you will never need more than 500 gig it will take you for ever to get through that amount of data i only have an 80 gig in my media player and its more than enough takes me a month or 2 to watch everything on it and then clean up and put new stuff on are you going to be using it for series or movies ?

10. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Ross, does that unit play OSI files or what format do you use ?

11. lIghty

lIghty Thread Starter

Been checking out the Mvix, very nice, is it perhaps worth the extra money, one thing is that they seem to be able to offer firmware updates, which make a difference as the technology changes.....

MX6000R - Exc HDD - R1455

MX780HD Exc HDD - R2150

Both the above replaced by the one below, but you can still get them.

MX780DVI Exc HDD - R1880

Last edited: 16 Jun 2009
Recent Posts