What eats/kills red turf algae?

Reaction score
http://www.zeovit.com/photopost/data/500/red_turf_algae.jpg

After losing my naso and yellow tang, this horrible stuff has popped up in the last month on a few rocks and is spreading. I never saw it before so not sure if one of them was keeping it in check. Its starting to choke a few SPS colonies that are making a comeback. Its seems tougher than hair algae and cannot scrub it off.

I've also got a nuisance brown algae that traps detritus so I'm scrubbing that periodically but cannot make a dent in it.

I'm gonna keep lights off for 3-4 days to see if that helps but advice is needed please.

Nitrates and phosphates are undetectable with salifet and seachem test kits.

Last edited:
rather find the source... i not its a miff answer but if you can find out the REASON then you wont need to get a critter to eat it.. and even if you find something that has red algea in its diet, it may not eat it..

Noticed some STN on one colony so stopped the vodka. The tank still hasn't gotten over the near wipe out so am going to leave the vodka for now.

Slummies, I hear what you saying, I had a kak attitude for a while so now getting things back on track. Going to inspect the skimmer pump this weekend as its not performing as it should. Blowing detritus off the LR every few days as well, its frightening how much cr@p accumulates.

I wouldn't go more than 3 days lights off.

I also have some of this and from what I have read true Mexican Turbo snails consume this algae, also lawnmower blenny's but they can be a bit of a hit and miss apparently.

But I think your best bet would be one of the tangs.

my Mimic Tang eats the stuff, got a frag from SnS with some on it and my oke decimated it

Adee, haven't seen them eating it.

Thanks Viper but R100 a snail is ridiculous. I'll have a look at the lawnmower. Is it compatible with a midas blenny?

Poiro, how do you find the mimic with other tangs? I've got a regal.

ditto on all the scopas comments. they r awesome on that stuff.. but also hit or miss

i know a scopas will takwe red cotton on, but i think a yellow eyed kole tng will as well. but id suggest working out the cause else you will have an endless battle

Poiro, how do you find the mimic with other tangs? I've got a regal.

Not sure how it would do with a Regal, I have mine with a Sailfin Tang, other than the regular issues after I added the mimic, he seems to be a very chilled fish.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom