what drives us wild about this hobby

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by RaveMan, 20 Dec 2013.

1. RaveMan

RaveMan

I sold up my 400l marine tank almost 5 years ago - sold it when it was at its peak (home refurbishment with knocking down wall that tank backed onto prompted the final decision to sell rather than move tank)

Of course there was the tension brewing for years at home around - water spills, smelly lounge, tank dominating room, needing a friend to check on tank when we holiday, keeping creatures confined and subjecting them to mistakes and discomfort -- and most of all the amount of time the fishtank took from wife and kids and other interests (like photography)

I started this thread to try and findsome comaraderie around these issues and most importantly to understand why we pursue this hobby

I know the usual answers - its educational, its meditative and relaxing, its a nice community of fishkeepers!

But what makes us pursue this hobby despite all the losses (death of livestock), expense (time and money); the moral issue of keeping wild creatures (often caught) in captivity; and tension with loved ones around damaged carpets and laminate floors?

Beacuse i dont have a dynamic "knock your socks off" killer answer - I wonder if I'm pursuing it for wrong reason (o - forgot to mention i recently bought an awesome 80l nano and am still setting up)

Am i just wanting to show off the best tank (biggest, most intricate, most efficient, most complex, most diverse, most rare species)?

Can i really afford (knowledge and money) to give these creatures the best environment or am I expecting them to be compromised because Im still learning or cant afford all the right stuff and I have yet to learn how to do things right?

If we truly loved these creatures and want to learn more - should we not be volunteering to help at the local aquairum (Ushaka for us Durbanites)?

Like to read your thoughts - thanks for your time

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. birkettN

birkettN Nathan

Because chicks dig it.... LOL

On a serious note I would say its the payoff (feeling of achievement) mixed with the beauty of it.

4. Bendor

Bendor

A true hobby is anything that costs money, time and significant effort with minimal or mediocre gains according to bystanders but to the hobbyist it appears as affordable, time well spent and little to no effort with huge although sometimes fleeting gains/accomplishments. It may be laughable or insane according to others but to you it stirs something inside you.

I often laugh at other people's hobbies until I remember I'm a fish geek.

Stamp collecting, bird watching or online gaming anyone?

5. jpaige74

jpaige74

I agree with birkettN :) Also, I took a trip to Hawaii in my teens and ended up with sun blisters on my back from two weeks submerged face down snorkeling. I fell in love with underwater world. Since I cant spend ever day underwater, at least I can spend my morning coffee with my face glued to the glass of my aquarium. :biggrin:

Last edited: 20 Dec 2013
  6. JackSplat

JackSplat

Because it invigorates my mind and resets my soul, no more reasons needed :)

Last edited: 21 Dec 2013
  7. Paul B

Paul B

I hate everything about this hobby :(

8. Bendor

Bendor

And I hate you, and your really old tank, and all your healthy spawning fish especially your mandarins :tt2:

9. RaveMan

RaveMan Thread Starter

Thanks people

I guess if the intent is good (respect for these creatures rather than compromising them) then the rewards flow

There's an iPad app with marine fish tank that you setup and maintain - it runs in the background and as days lapse you'll actually see the glass cloud up with algae. And you get to select scraper to clean glass and food for fish etc. no matter how filthy the glass or how infrequently you feed the fish - the inmates always look healthy and happy. Wish it could be like this in real life - certainly will be less frustration with things going wrong (especially siphoned water all over the floor or your tank sitter thinking its normal for overflow box to be jammed and return pump running dry)

Recent Posts