What does everyone do when going away?

Reaction score
What do you guys do when going away for a couple days? Do you rely on someone with no fish experience to feed etc?

Reaction score
well i showed my nephew what to do , i mixed my tup up water as i dnt have an auto top up , and have my sump marked as where water level shud , and so far so good ....

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Have an auto-feeder to feed the fish..... Now, when I go away, I won't trust my auto-topup - I would rather decrease the salinity VERY slowly to 1.021 from 1.024 and then set the RO to VERY slowly VERY slowly drip water into the tank. I have also dropped my water levels in the tank and sump, that if there is a power failure, that nothing over-flows..... and floods the house.

I have asked someone to go and look into the health of the fish, every now and again - and to call me with "Status updates"....

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Depends how long i go for, have a few mates i can rely on to keep things going if going away for extended periods or if only a few days i dont worry.

Reaction score
Best bet is to have a mate who you can rely on and in turn reciprocate, I call it a tank buddie, almost like a dive buddie

Reaction score
jascquesb said:
I would rather decrease the salinity VERY slowly to 1.021 from 1.024
WTF for? is this the reason why you had a wipe out before?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I phone surgeon :lol:

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Easiest is to slowly automate the system, and leave minimum for the other folks to do.

Reaction score
I pray to the reef gods.

leslie hempel

Sponsor
Reaction score
and whayever you dont leave the tank on... :)

Reaction score
Mmm I dread having to go away.

What's the longest you guy's have been away from your tanks at any one time ?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
well i showed my nephew what to do , i mixed my tup up water as i dnt have an auto top up , and have my sump marked as where water level shud , and so far so good ....
Just checking, what are you mixing your top-up water with? you should be topping up with neat R/O

Luckily for me i don't live in a very large country, i have about 6 reefers within 20 minutes drive:)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mmm I dread having to go away.

What's the longest you guy's have been away from your tanks at any one time ?

Longest 16 days, but away for a week at a time very regularly. ANGRY does a great job, and when we are both away Surgeon steps in, (damn tank looks better after he tended to a it for a week)

All that really needs to be done is fill the top up water up, but thats very seldom that it needs to be done.

joe

Reaction score
Teach someone , or pay a pro for maintainance ... many marine shops offer this service

Reaction score
I only top up once a week so I just leave it, I don't usually go away for long anyway. A week would be long. Hey Calvin a Ghost Pipefish was apparently caught at Swartkops last week, first time I have heard of one down this far!

Reaction score
i heard steve thats awsme