What do you hate most about keeping a marine tank?

What do you hate most about a marine tank?

• Total voters
Last edited:
LOL!
When the "smart ass questions" dont end, and the "experts" among friends and family try telling you what to do on your set up when they have never ever had marine tanks themselves... Also HATE it when visitors kids bang their hands on my tank :cursing:.
A friend of mine told me that a visitors kid poured out a whole tub of calcium in to his system. . . killed a yellow , regal and purple tang. Dude had to do water changes at 1am.

LOL!
When the "smart ass questions" dont end, and the "experts" among friends and family try telling you what to do on your set up when they have never ever had marine tanks themselves... Also HATE it when visitors kids bang their hands on my tank :cursing:.
A friend of mine told me that a visitors kid poured out a whole tub of calcium in to his system. . . killed a yellow , regal and purple tang. Dude had to do water changes at 1am.

i bet thats kids banned for life.....

hate testing parameters! Why cant there by like a profilux thing that constantly monitors Ca, Alk and Mg??!?!?

Yeah thats the main reason i haven't got a profilux yet,i cant monitor those three parameters which i find most important,all other test are not needed once you know how to run your system properly......

We should start a thread about natural waterparameter indicators. Bali polyps for example are indicating nitrate. As soon as the tentacles are getteing shorter, you should test your nitrate. I hate using test kits as well. I prefer to look out that every inmate looks good. That's it I agree! Excellent point. My Gorgonias are tempreture indicators when they close I know its getting to hot or to cold!

This is great we should actually open a thread for something like this...natural indicators..i realiozed only after reading this that my previous set up were high in NITRATES reason for Barley Polyps Tenticle size...now they are so long and playing in the current...this could become a great thread..i think...;)

LOL!
Also HATE it when visitors kids bang their hands on my tank :cursing:.

The 7yr old kid next door that comes to play with my daughter...EVERY BLOODY TIME he walks past the Tank he opens the flap and sticks his fingers in and time and time again..."Please keep you'r fingers out of the Tank"...after the 4th time, when he asks if he can come play I tell him...sorry she can only play on weekends as she gets to worked up during the week and it's a mission getting her down at her usual time...which is true..when ever she has company, it takes us about 2hrs extra to get her to bed that night...

What I hate most about this hobby is that every single person without any knowledge about this hobby have the perception that WE are ALL GEEGS or NURDS!

"There goes the fish guy" "They are so common" "One day when they grow up, they need to rather play golf"

These type of comments and perceptions really gets to me sometimes, as we all know they don't realise just how complex and stunning this hobby really is!

But I guess at the end of the day this hobby is for us, no matter what any other nurds think!:1:

What I hate most about this hobby is that every single person without any knowledge about this hobby have the perception that WE are ALL GEEGS or NURDS!

"There goes the fish guy" "They are so common" "One day when they grow up, they need to rather play golf"

These type of comments and perceptions really gets to me sometimes, as we all know they don't realise just how complex and stunning this hobby really is!

But I guess at the end of the day this hobby is for us, no matter what any other nurds think!:1:

ah dude i have been called pet shop boy for most of my life but im the first person they call when there is a pet related query.. and especially after hours...

I for one find the hobby intellectually stimulating. There's always something you didn't know, or a new way of doing things.

ah dude i have been called pet shop boy for most of my life but im the first person they call when there is a pet related query.. and especially after hours...

I am extremely proud of what I do, especially from a marine shop point of view, but it's not nice when you walk into a bar wearing my Dorry shirt and you hear comments like:

"I'm so glad I don't sell fish food for a living":cursing::kangakiller:

It's like they look down on you....., but on the flip side of the coin when new customers walk into the shop for the first time, they are super impressed!!:thumbup: (Nice to change the perception)

This is great we should actually open a thread for something like this...natural indicators..i realiozed only after reading this that my previous set up were high in NITRATES reason for Barley Polyps Tenticle size...now they are so long and playing in the current...this could become a great thread..i think...;)

Okay. I feel free to open a new thread about this as it was my idea.;)

I opened the thread here:
Corals as natural indicator for water parameter - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

@mytank Please share your experiences with the gorgonia in thethread above. Please post species and picture if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom