What do you do to your water for water changes?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PJL, 16 May 2013.

1. PJL

PJL

Hey all Im using RO water for my water changes and was wondering if you do anything to your water ( accept adding salt ) before it goes into your tank. Reason Im asking is Im still cycling my tank, 2 weeks in, and I have noticed my KH is a bit low. Im not going to change anyhing before my cycle is done but Im just curious if this is something you would look to change before the fresh water goes in? Thank you in advance!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fred d

Fred d

Your water needs to cure mature so dont take any out before your cycle is complete . Top up with ro only until then

4. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi, why do you want to do a water change while your tank is still cycling in your 2 week. some guys i know ad a dead fishie in the tank so the backteria can starting to grow. Even if you do a water change your KH wil be a bit low. your last sentense what fresh water are you talking about. your tank is fill with ro water mix with salt and in your tank cycling for 6 weeks. in that period algae will starting to crow and...... you ad your CUC.

5. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

what are your KH levels exactly.. i dont add anything to the RO water before or after i mix it with the salt

6. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey Im not planning on doing a water change untill my cycle is complete The fresh water Im talking about is the newly mixed salt water going in when doing your water change. I was just curious what everybody else was doing to their "fresh" water besides adding salt. I measured my water tonight and the KH was 4,5 dKH

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Are you sure the test kit is in DKH & not meg/l?
    DKH of 4.5 is very low, but meg/l is almost on par (almost too high...)

8. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey Def DKH Just double checked the test kit Ill do another test tomorrow just to double check

Last edited: 16 May 2013
  9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What make of test kit?

And what make of salt mix?

10. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Hey just did another test. Tested 5,1DKH but the kit is very sensitive, bottom line is its still to low Test kit is Salifert and salt is Seachem When I mixed my water when I filled my tank initially I mixed 34g per liter as per instructions. The first time I tested I got Sg: 1,021 ( refractometer ) Each time I did top ups I mixed in salt with my RO water in stead of just using pure RO water I did this to get my Sg up. As it stands I additionaly added 350 g and my Sg is perfect at 1.026 so now when I do top ups i use pure RO water This is the only thing I added to the tank to date, dont know if this could have any affect

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Your calcium level is????

12. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hey I just mention it just for incase.:thumbup:when i do a water change the next day i do all the test calsium, magnesium Ph,Kh..... then wat is short i just add. At this stage all i ad is calsium and magnesium and keep my PH,Kh stabel. and iodene, .... and i use fuel. and feed my LPS.:)

Last edited by a moderator: 16 May 2013
  13. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Unfortunately dont have a Calcium test yet , still waiting on that and my phosphate test kits Rest of my params:

Ph: 8
    Nh4 : 0,25 mgl
    N02 : 0
    N03 : 0,25 ppm
    Sg : 1,026
    Kh: 4,5 dkh
    Alk: 1,59 megl

14. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Thanks Dorry I will def go the same route

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes and no
    Some reefers do not believe in doing water changes during the cycle period, come down to basically being a waste of money as nothing really is in the tank to use up the trace elements.

Others do believe in water changes, basically diluting the high ammonia levels, helping to maintain lower levels of ammonia during the cycle. Reducing the ammonia levels by dilution would / could shorten the cycle period.

At the end of the day, it is your own personal choice. But what is the real gain in ending your cycle a week earlier when during water changes compared to the cost of the wasted salt?

There would be certain critters and bacteria especially the later half of the cycle that could depend on some trace minerals that by then might be running low. So yeah, maybe a combo, instead of weekly 10% water changes, doing the first change on week 3 to 4. Then the next 2 weeks later.

16. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help! Does the salt that is added to the RO water lift the KH? If the KH is still low at end of my cycle can I simply use baking soda to raise or what would you guys do?

17. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If your ca is very high your KH will drop.

Check the Sg or salinity the salt brand recommends to be mixed. It is possible that you are mixing the salinity to high. This will increase the ca level causing the KH to fall out. Do not add additives to try and correct as the more KH you try to add the more ca will precipitate.

18. PJL

PJL Thread Starter

Morning all I think what I'm going to do is take a sample of my RO water and test that to see what params I'm looking at Them I'm going to mix a saltwater batch exactly according to the directions and check it's params 24hrs later. Im going to compare that to my tanks params and then Ill be able to see how the water changed after it went in the tank and I altered the Sg

19. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Don't do water changes just keep topping up with RO...

20. the fish

the fish

well when i do a water change i add some stabilty and seachem prime to the water. otherwize i will just do a topup on RO

Recent Posts