What do drivers do for LEDs?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by erratiC, 4 Feb 2012.

1. erratiC

erratiC

Hey all,

I bought a meter long strip of LEDs for R200 to test how I'd be able to get LEDs going on my TL-550 ... so I cut about 15cm of it off and plugged it into 8x Duracell PLUS AA 1.5V batteries to see how long it would take the batteries to die and to see the brightness.

I soldered all the batteries together and connected them up to the 15cm strip last week Sunday at 2pm and I shit you not - the LEDs are still lit up.. not very bright anymore but they're still going.

So, why should I purchase a couple of drivers to power the LED strip when I could buy a 12V adaptor with a potentiometer that plugs straight into the wall and get it going like that? It clearly works coming from the battery test I did.

Thanks! :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mewik

Mewik

A driver will basically prevent the leds running at their max output by regulating the power. Running leds at 100% will reduce the lifespan greatly and make them rather inefficient power wise, with a driver you can run leds at 50-60% and still get +80% of the output. For what they cost and the benefits the give they are def worth while as they will save you cash in the long run.

The meanwell led power supplies come with drivers etc built in, dimmable options as well and the prices aren't too bad. I would just go that route rather.

Good luck with the build

4. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Thanks Mewik, very informative - I've learnt something today.

Recent Posts