What constitutes a mature tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Forbes, 19 Mar 2014.

1. Forbes

Forbes

Hi Guys,
    I am interested to know what constitutes a mature tank, substrate, live rock or filter medium, or all three. I bought my RSM 250 from someone who had run it for two years, so the sand and filter medium had matured, I had to buy live rock for it, which I have done, and the tank has now been running for about three and a half months. Will it take another six months before it is considered mature.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. hansiemyburgh

hansiemyburgh

Tagging along...;)

4. brentch

brentch

My understanding: A system that has the necessary diversity in microbial communities to withstand fluctuations in different parameters, ensuring any perturbation does not lead to a collapse in these communities, leading to a tank crash...

I.e. the point at which your tank can handle most events that can harm the tank's biota (increased bioload, power failures, slight changes in water chemistry etc)...

Well, that's my understanding of it anyway...

5. KSreefster

KSreefster

Not a pro, so wait for them first, but what I understand about the word 'mature' is :

1. When there are no fluctuations in the parameters.

2. When there is good growth of coralline or corals and a good and constant pod population.

6. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

7. brentch

brentch

But don't you control that? If parameters were stable from the start, that doesn't necessarily mean your tank is mature, right?

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

by stable he means that with added livestock etc, you keep the Ca and Mg right, ph in check etc..

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

A lot also depends on how well you know your take, ie consumption rates, when you need to replace stuff, how often you do WC etc

10. Forbes

Forbes Thread Starter

I do 25l water changes every week, and normally everything is right where it should be.

Recent Posts