What can i get to keep my sand clean

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Renannchen, 23 Jul 2009.

1. Renannchen

Renannchen

Hey every1 im looking for something that is reefsafe and that will keep my sand clean in my MD... any recomendation? something that is nice to look at and will do the work>>>>>

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dogstar

dogstar

keep it clean is in get rid of detritus? No sure. But i reckon most peeps will tell you good tank husbandry is the best.

4. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Good random flow and a skimmer...

5. Noodles

Noodles

good skimmer, water flow and a blue streak goby does a great job of moving and air rating the sand.....

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

These sand sifting gobies and stars must only be introduced into a well established tank of at least 6 month - preferably longer. They sieve the sand for critters and pods, NOT DETRITUS! So, they are NOT part of a clean up crew as some guys are told by others and LFS's wanting to make a sale.
    Some also complain that these sand sifting gobies make a mess all over their corals. If they are put in a tank that is too young, they will slowly starve to death - they'll still sieve the sand, but will get no food :(

7. Noodles

Noodles

True :thumbup: thought he has had his tank up for sometime now, mine's been running for 2 years now and my sand goby does a great job of moving sand around but i must say he does sometime put it were it should not be, like fulling my mushrooms...... but hey thats life.
    :)

8. Renannchen

Renannchen Thread Starter

I have a decent skimmer and more than enough flow in my system, was thinking of smthin like a gold head goby

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

How long has your tank been running and how fine is the substrate? Can't remember...
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Noodles

Noodles

Have you got hermit's and snails? if not maybe add 10 hermit's and 6 snail's...
    a gold head goby is the same as a blue streak goby, only add one if your system has been running for a good couple of months.....

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a Golden Head Goby. And any flat rock or low lying item will quickly be covered in a layer of sand. He grabs a mouthfull and sif it out. The more coarse the substrate the higher he swim will sifting, leaving sand over everyting. With my playsand substrate, he actually cover stuff less as he does not swim that high anymore. Great in moving sand around. Mine also eats flakes. Also be carefull, they dig under rocks. Must ensure rocks are stable and will not tumble.

But hermits do a lot beter in eating detritus in the sand.

12. marine101

marine101

How long have you had the Goby Fleur? They dont usually last longer than 9 months. I wouldn recommend them. What about an african clown Wrasse?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My Golden head is over a year.

14. cybervic

cybervic

African Clown Wrasse ... dunno about the reefsafe with inverts like shrimps and Hermits. I use brittlestars myself. As Tobes said, they feed on critters in the sand and are not realy a cleanup crew. Though, I see it this way, food that does not get eaten by fish cause unwanted algae (Yes there is wanted algae), so the starfish gets that food and assists in being a "cleanup crew"

my 2c

15. Tony

Tony

What substrate do you have and how/why is it getting dirty?

16. Noodles

Noodles

Thats not true my Goby is well over a year and growing, he's doing really well.....
    African clown wrasse... WRASSE!!!! that word should say it all, but then again i did have one in my smaler tank to see what would happen and i landed up with know more hermits...

17. Renannchen

Renannchen Thread Starter

My subtrate is fine aragonite and i have about 20local hermits and 2 red legd hermits and had about 10snails, but my hermits like to chow them, think i havd 4 left! My system is 7 months old and runing very well!

18. irshaad

irshaad

diamondback goby, that's what i have and he does an excellent job! Always sifting the sand, keeping it clean and turned and leaving no dead spots. He also eats whatever i feed (flake, mysis, mixed seafood) so he never goes hungry. He only stays at the bottom, so doesnt make too much of a mess.

[​IMG]

Recent Posts