What can i do with a 1.8X 600w X 450h Sump

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by Nur, 29 Dec 2011.

1. Nur

Nur Starz

hi guys and gals, as some might know i currently do not have a sump. i run my DT with 2 canisters. been quite successful for a year now.

the higher ups did not approve my plans for a 3m x 800w x 650h, so i got me a moerse sump so i can increase water volume and a bigger skimmer, Chiller, add more fish and coral and and..

looking for some ideas as to the chambers in the sump, i want a dsb as big as possible, i believe the success in my setup is that i have app 7cm deep substrate mixture of aragonite and beach sand in the DT.

thanks in advance for constructive input.

:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

oh, new equipment will be:

AM Turboflotor baby skimmer
    AM OR 6500 return
    Aqua Clear 500 for running
    300w jager heater

i currently do not run any phosphate and nitrate media.

possibility of using the old cannisters as reactors or have 2 from phuture lab i dont use.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, get your skimmer.

Secondly , fit that skimmer. Take into account head heigh available above skimmer. so that you can remove the cup and also be able to remove the skimmer completely if needed. Make the first chamber just big enough to be able to do it.

your tank is 2m. Do the current stand have a leg in the middle front? Can you move this sump into place without emptying your system or breaking the cabinet? No middle support structures?

Do you want a RO chamber. I would go for it.

Chiller should rather be outside the cabinet, to be able to breath. Else it just heats up the inside of the cabinet, the same spot you try to cool down.

RO chamber should be big enough to at least handle 2 days evaporation (so you can go away for the weekend). Roughly 10% of your total system evaporates per week. Yes, not 100% figure as a lot of things impact it, but it gives you an idea. RO chamber can be another holding tank, or be part of the main sump. So work out the space needed for RO chamber.

Return chamber, again big enough to handle at least 2 days evaporation (so you can go away for the weekend) and in case for some stupid reason your RO system decided to also take the weekend of. So work out space needed for return chamber. Note, any reactors you put into the return chamber, their water replacement must be taken into account in calculating the space needed.

For max water volume, I would go for deep water level above the DSB. So first divider at 400mm and second at 390mm.

Do you know Google SketchUp?

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

O yes, take into account the drowning depth of the skimmer. The water exit point. If below 400mm, you might need to raise the skimmer and place it on some stand. But take head height into account.

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i would say add a large refugium to the mix will do wonders for the overall health of the system

7. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

sorry, forgot to add, it is an external skimmer that will be fed by a Reef Octopus OTP 2000.

the sump will be situated in the adjacent room.

is it wise to use a 50 mm overflow with a 25mm return?

skimmer is 1.2m tall, and has a AM OR 3500 making the bubbles.

not too clued up with SketchUp.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That makes life so much easier.

Yes, its ok

Just note, your DSB would be very big and heavy.

Make sure you put it on a good level base.
    And maybe add extra cross bracing. Depending on glass thickness. As I doubt a DSB of of over 1.5m would be wise if there are no cross bracing.

9. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

can i have an 700 x 600 DSb, with a 500 x 600 refugium? then 300 x 600 for both overflow and return?

10. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

sorry, it is 10mm glass all roaund

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes you can.

Or if you run the water level at 400mm deep, then why not have your refugium on top of the DSB.

12. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

thats what i was thinking of doing but with the 50mm pipe being so thick what happens when the return goes off for any reason (eskom), will there bee sufficient room for the overflow water?

the 50mm pipe from DT to sump will probablly be app 4m in length.
    25mm return would be app 2m in length pushing a 1.9m hight.

the sump has a overflow (@430mm) that i can plumb to go into a drain, but i dont want to resort to that.

13. Nur

Nur Thread Starter Starz

Bump..

Last edited: 29 Dec 2011
Recent Posts