What are your tank Regrets?

Mekaeel

Reaction score
thought i'll start this thread so we can all see what mistakes and regrets we have about our systems.this might also help our newbies who are starting up
ok let me start.

1.i shouldve got a higher stand so that it will make life easier to work in the sump area.
2.shouldve went barebottom as the substrate is constantly being disturbed with the high flow.
3.wouldve been a good idea to for a bigger tank,but in my case,space restricts.
well you guys can go for it now while i think of other regrets..........

I think the biggest regret i have is the width, the wider the tank the more aquascaping options you have.

Should not have bought a Jebo! Could have setup a complete system with the cost of the Jebo.
Wish I found the fish sites on the internet sooner.
Should not have bought a nenny and two Clarkii clowns as a newby.

Where to start ......
1) Would love to have a closed loop. I think a CLS is the best thing.
2) Wider tank as alan said. My space constraints are the limiting factor there. Would love to go 1.5m wide !
3) Higher stand. About 900mm at least. More space to work in the sump, able to fit the skimmer under tank.
4) Not going MH from the start.

Well I'm busy correcting my mistakes as I go along - what an expense.

I wish I had read more about tank design options before buying my tank. I just asked for a tank 1500x600x600 with an overflow to sump - no other information.

I would have loved my overflow box to be bigger - I can barely fit my arm in to reach the bottom to fish out kamikaze snails and hermits.

A closed loop would be another thing I would like on a new set-up.

A decent sized sump (and properly designed) from the beginning, with space to be able to put in lighting

1.) Should have gone wider

2.) Should have replaced the front glass when I redid the tank

3.) Should have gone wider ;)

1) Should have built both sumps from perspex.
2) Should have used starfire glass for display.
3) Should have teethed my overflow box.
4) Should have drilled overflow holes in different possies.

1. I should've done more research
2. Should've done more research
3. New tank will be at least 600mm wide I'm looking at 700mm
4. Sump will be designed better - finer substrate to be used in sumps and have seperate compartments for algae and LR.
5. Plan lights and cables before any water is put into the tank
6. Plumb everything and let it dry for 7 days (24hrs just ain't enough always)
7. Overflow holes on both sides of the tank pref. 40mm or bigger
8. I will not ever again have any LR touch the glass (Restricts flow to much)
9. My new setup will include a seperate tank for my anemone. I do not think they are suitable to keep in a full reef setup. Too much change of damaging other corals or getting into wave pumps.
10. Look at other tanks and ask thier owners on what they would change on their current setups if they could.

Glass is in general kak to work with. It breaks easily and you can never get it cut EXACTLY right. But actually, it's because on saturday I left the cabinet open and my son was playing with a hard ball and the middle sump cracked.

1) Should have done more research
2) Tank is to small 1.5x0.5x0.5 for my needs
3) Tank ran for a long time with canister filters
4) Overflow not drilled
5) Bought a cheap skimmer first time around
6) FW tank cabinet completely wrong for marine keeping, not big enough space for sump.

Seems only thing i did right was to find you guys and the friendship of Reefer, Carl and EJ...

1) Should have done more research
2) Should have used starfire glass for display.
3) Should have gone wider but space constaints dictated otherwise.
4) Should have bought the AM T5000 twin when I had the money:)

Wow, thanx for the thread.

Since I'm moving end of August, I have the chance to change some stuff in my setup also, and this has given me new hope. First thing I'm changing is a second sump, in which I can fit my skimmer

Otherwise
1. Higher stand also.
2. Still thinking about substrate, should I do bare bottom? Have no DSB, substrate thik, so as to compensate for DSB
3. Wish the tank was wider and higher - was big as hell when I baught it, now I know better, hehe
4. Wish I din't kill almost all my fish out of stupidity
5. More research (which probably would have deterred me from doing marines at first)
6. Should've saved up before starting - baught the equipment etc all first, with proper good LR

Etc, etc, etc...

I dont regret anything on my new setup...Just fixed all my mistakes with the new setup..

1. Changed overflow to C2C
2. Took my time and done neat plumbing. Used unions wherever i could.
3. Modified my lighting
4. Made 1M high stand
5. Incorporated a Auto topup compartment in my sump
6. Added more flow
7. Got more liverock
8. Made sure new tank has Euro bracing with on centre brace
9. Cut down the amount of 90deg elbows on return pump plumbing
10. Settled for a decent skimmer

What I regret about my new setup is that i shouldve replaced the front glass with starfire glass.Other than that...its all cool..

I should not have bought a cheap T5 fitting which came with 28W tubes ( lasted 5 months )
I have however now fitted the same fitting with 54 ballast and tubes..
Wider , Higher , Longer .....

Back
Top Bottom