What are these?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by goodisor, 11 Oct 2008.

1. goodisor

goodisor

Hi all. Can someone tell me what these creatures are. They let a long strand of like spider web out and reel in whatever they catch.Ive noticed they tend to throw out the thread whenever I disturb the substrate
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. burt

burt

can u take a pic from another direction

4. Warr7207

Warr7207

horrible, horrible, Vermetid snails, everyone except me loves them.

Just make a huge mess around my corals :(

5. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Agreed.I dont like them either.They really do make a mess.Like old cob webs.Maybe I should get a featherduster [​IMG]

6. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

How about this....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Oct 2008
  7. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

They are harmless filter feeders, not only do they show you have a healthy tank, they help to clean up too, and all for free.

They are part of the rich tapestry of marine life we should encourage to have a healthy reef tank, rather than the sterile tropical freshwater tanks.

8. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Thanks Mike Imglad to hear that.My tank must be really healthy then,cause I got stacks of these dudes. They do make a mess though.Any way to clean up there discarded threads?

9. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Never tried myself but a turkey baster? or perhaps a soft brush or similar just to pick them up?

10. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Ne,i think i will just leave them be.Im sure they will dissappear eventually. Not worth taking the chance of breaking the other goodies around. [​IMG]

11. Warr7207

Warr7207

Just wait dude, I was told the same thing, and they started multiplying. I now have at least forty units that I can see.

Check how they are murdering my monti

So not totally harmless.

Also the more you blast the webs away the quicker they make more, as it is their only way of feeding.

[​IMG]

12. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Move the monti ;)

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Obliviously I would have done that if I could ;)

There are 4 snails embedded in the LR that the monti is trying to live on.

Bloody cold blooded murderers

I have heard you can use the aiptasia injection on these snails

14. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Whoaaa!!! [​IMG]Thats bad. Ive seen that scenario before. I had a mandarin once in my previous tank I had to fish him out and get all the webs off him was totally covered. My zoas have got a few strands covering them too. I wonder how many reefers battle with this?

15. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Yours look like they're making a united effort to capture your Monti and share it between them [​IMG]

16. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Yipim going to move my Zoas tomorrow

17. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Hey Warr check this out FYI
    Vermetid snails - Reeflands Forum
    and read this:
    [​IMG]
    Figure 2. Vermetus sp. photographed in about 1 m of water on the reef flat in Palau. The animal's aperture was about 5 cm (2") in diameter. The brownish operculum plugging the aperture and the mucous feeding strands are evident. ​
    The feeding methodology of these animals is rather bizarre and interesting. The animals use the mucous gland in their foot to produce a large of amount of mucus. The mucus is extended up into to the surrounding water by the tentacles on the feet (Hyman, 1967; Kohn, 1983). The strands can extend quite some distance depending on the water flow and the size of the animals. In my aquarium, vermetids about 3 mm (1/8th inch) across can project mucous strands over 60 mm (2.5 inches). I have seen some large vermetids that were over 50 mm (2 inches) in diameter on reef flats in Palau. The strands of mucus from these animals extended over 2 m (about 6.5 feet).
    Mucus is sticky, and planktonic materials adhere to it. After a short time the animal "reels in" the strand with its catch stuck to it and eats it. Some species have been documented to feed together. When one individual starts to put out mucus, all of its neighbors do too, producing a mucus sheet that seems especially good at collecting plankton. Once one individual starts to withdraw the strand, all of the contributors do as well, and all get to share in the catch (Hyman, 1967). This ciliary-mucous suspension-feeding isn't the vermetids’ only feeding mode, though. They also have been documented to extend from the tube and catch small planktonic animals, and they seem especially responsive to crustaceans (Hyman 1967). In aquaria, they are probably quite able to feed on baby brine shrimp, as well as other small planktonic animals.

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

See how huge and horrible they grow.

:74::74:

19. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I also got these guys in my tank. In my case i found them to do good. Trap detritus in the web and when the pumps switch on, it blows the entire web out, into the overflow and then getting skimmed out :)

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

You lucky I have lost 4 monti now to these pests, the coral totally starves as it can get no food and also gets less and less light as the webs get thicker from more and more of these snails spawning.:(

21. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Why dont you try and remove the rocks and try and get them off by chipping them away.Then sump them.

Recent Posts