What are the Easiest fish to keep?

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Jaco Schoeman, 24 Jul 2009.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hey Guys. Just planning my fish stock on the new tank. We had some threads about the most difficult corals to keep, and the easiest corals to keep... So what are the easiest fish to keep?

More specific, what fish can be added into a newly cycled tank?

Please supply pics too. ;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Blue Yellow Tail Damsel, each needs at least a 30cm square area. So max 4 in a 1.5m tank.
    If they became to terretorial, just move all the rocks. new home, new place to claim.

Will limit future inmates. But I have Blue-green Chromis and Dusky Damsels with mine.

4. Pads

Pads

Picasso Trigger, this guy is hardy as hell. Doesn't seem to get too stressed and plays well with others. Just get 'em small. Only hassle is you can't get shrimp. Tough choice.

5. Falcon

Falcon

nice riannp yeah those are tops...i have yellow tailed and one electric blue devil,very hardy the one even survived an anemone nuking in my old tank.

wrasses are also hardy like the six line but they become very aggro so rather leave it out for last.

yellow tangs and sohal tangs are hardy....

dwarf angels like rusty and coral beauty hardy,others like bi color and flame not so hardy add later on.

bi color gobies hardy.

clarki clowns.

tomato clowns hardy but become very aggro.

6. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Thanks guys, I'll google some pics. Some of the fish I know, and others not as well.

Just to maybe give you an indication of that the tank would be like:

1000x500x500. MH and T5 lighting. Closed Loop system for flow. It will be MOSTLY reef. Plenty of LR, but only on the right side, so plenty of swimming towards the left.

Hope that helps with fish selection tips.

The list I have made, are as follows, yet I am not sure about the species compatibility, hardyness, when to intro etc. So still need to do plenty of homework!!!

2x Percular Clowns
    1x Yellow Tang
    1x Regal Tang
    1x Royal Gramma
    1x Flame Angel
    1x Mandarin (this I know must be added MUCH MUCH later - like one year later;))
    1x Lawnmower Blenny

What do you guys think? Can it work? Any suggestions please.

7. Sentari

Sentari

Jaco my tanks about the same as yours (1200 x 450 x 450). Also looking at what i would put in my tank.

Thinking of

Yellow Tang
    Diamond Back Goby or Lawnmower Blenny
    2 x Wrasse ( Dont know what the best one's are )
    2 x Clowns ( Percula )

Tagging along :)

8. dogstar

dogstar

Jaco i think most people will recommend that you don't put the tangs in a 1m tank. They grow quite fast and need lots of swimming space. 1m is a bit small for them.

I have a tank with the exact dimensions as yours. Some other fish you can consider are:

Midas/Bicolour Blenny - very cool fish
    Bangaai Cardinal
    Chromis
    Firefish (if you have a lid - they are jumpers )
    Banana Wrasse

9. Sentari

Sentari

Oh yes Cardinals are cool! When can you pair them? from young? also which are male and which are female?

10. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

Agree with riaan they are the easiest to keep alive, but they pretty much will stress out and kill anything else. sorry mate no tangs in a 1m tank unless you can find very small yellow tang , small regals are easy to find, but if you can find a yt the size of a 5 rand coin he would be fine for a year or two. they dont come in that size very often. But you will have to upgrade to at least a 1.5m tank to keep two large tangs

11. Pugsly

Pugsly

I am far from being an expert, but one thing I know for sure with tangs is you never add them one at a time - eg this month 1 and two months down the line add another 1. They fight like hell!!!!!

I have 3 yellow tangs in my tank that are doing fantastically, but it is a 2m tank - I think that is pushing it with a 1m tank. They swimm like hell!

Yellow tail damsels are good but very territorial - so once they are in the tank and you add new fish you will have to change the scape a bit to control there tempers!!!:p

clowns are nice too - I have 5 and they don't fight at all! Very relaxed fish imo

12. dogstar

dogstar

Didnt know you could keep more then 2 clowns. Or this dependant on the size of the tank?

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

To add on the Blue Yellow Tail Damsels, They tend to stay at the bottom part of the tank. And pretty much to "his" place. Anything else same size approaching, with same looks, he will chase to his border. But max they stake out a 30cm area. So they only have a small area for themselves.

BUT BEWARE
    Do not go for the Blue Devil Damsel - the name says it all. Looks the same, but yellow tail is missing and got a black dot at end of back fin. Be carefull, LFS keep them with normal Yellow tails. One of them can fight of 5 Yellow Tails.

At LFS, as long as there is no LR in the tank, or the tank is overstocked so one fish cannot stake a area. The LFS can have 10 of them in a small tank.

I got 2 Yellow Tails, and they mated! But when the courtship and act was over, they chased each other again out of his area.

14. Sentari

Sentari

Its better to get 2 clowns when they small. The reason for this is when they grow up there is a definitive split between the male and female. The female being the bigger and more dominant.

15. Boendoe

Boendoe

2x Percular Clowns
    1x Flame Angel
    1x Lawnmower Blenny or Bi-colour Blenny

These fish would be a good start, your tank will however be to small for a tang :(.

Like Riaan said Blue Devil the name says it all, those are some real agro little fish I had to unpack my entire tank to get mine out. Rather stay away form them.

16. dogstar

dogstar

I got two small clowns. Dig those fish, i just thought i couldnt keep more, else i might have added another 2.

17. Boendoe

Boendoe

Yes you can, best is to introduce them together, if you don't do this the dominate one will not take to the newcomer very friendly.

18. trad

trad Fish, thats the word!

remember too not mix the clowns, get them at any size will be fine. but don't get two tomato clowns, maroon clown, other can pair ok

19. Jaco Schoeman

What are those two orange fish in Tony's tank on the Home Page?

20. Boendoe

Boendoe

Goldies or Anthias also very nice fish and there are a lot of different colorations

21. Jaco Schoeman

Boendoe: Are they aggro or terrotorial? Can theybe intro'd into a newish tank?

Recent Posts