What are the best snails for a display tank CUC?

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Bendor, 12 Jan 2013.

1. Bendor

Bendor

Lfs has Nassarius for R150 each. EISH! Are they worth it? I was planning on waiting for some turbos that apparently much better priced.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

Crazy paid R40.00 for a turbo snail got 6

4. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

From this Thread I see "wild on pets" and "bryan" has...but on the price I can't comment..R150 sounds very high...although I do know Turbo's are R40...maybe the guys can give you prices of Nassarius and then you decide..with a good idea of the price, you are sure to sniff out the LFS who overprice and just stay away from them...:blush:
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=37061

5. 3dd

3dd

Just bought 4 Nassarius snails, first 2 was R30 each the next was R100 each. Crazy difference. Go to exotic pets when they have some more, got them there for R30, and took the last 2.

6. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! Will keep looking then.

7. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Get a permit, make a beach trip and collect as many turbos as you want. There are Nassarius locally too, but they're tricky to find.

8. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

Collecting my own sounds great. Will just have to read up first to avoid putting some carnivorous reef unsafe critters in my tank.

9. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

I went to the lfs anyway.Turns out they have lots of turbos hiding behind pumps and rocks. Got 5 zebra turbos. Largest two are about 3 cm across. Funny how what you want/need is sometimes not on anyone else's wish list. Luckily.

10. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

I'd still consider some Nassarius snails as well - but not at that price - they are excellent scavengers.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

eish...

get your permit and collect Nerita snails. Nice little snails. But as with most, is you see one that fell off, they will land on their back. In the sea they just wait for the next big wave. In your tank you need to help them up. But do not get the white Nerita snails.

Problem with intertidal snails is that for the first month or 2, they tend to climb out. Especially full moon, high tide. More of a problem with rimless tanks. With euro bracing they end up under the brace and sleep there.

Other nice snails are Strombidae snails. Nice detritus eaters. Can get them in rock pools, but they are more tricky to find.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and take into account nassarius snails are more scavengers. they are the vultures of the snails. Something dies and they are on the dead body within minutes. Some guys just saw a fish alive, 30 minutes being consumed by these snails. Thinking that they actually caught the fish. Nope, that is the Connidae snails being able to catch fish.

Caming back to being vultures. So if you do have an healthy tank, and nothing dies, then these snails do not eat. They can hide for some time inside the sand, waiting, waiting.... eventually becoming themselves food for the other Nassarius snails.

So you are going to feed them once a week ( at least) a piece of oyster, or lance fish. That is if your system can handle that excess food coming in.

Rather get Strombidae snails. They are real detritus feeders. But beware, they can hurt you, handle them with care.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2013
  13. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

Richards Bay harbour has a few colonies of Nassarius arcularius if you look on the sandflats during spring tides:

[​IMG]

Setting a trap there overnight in a few meters of water could probably yield some interesting other species too.

14. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

At R160 a snail you could make millions!!! :lol:

Thanks for the help.

15. mandarinman

mandarinman

I have ten nassarius in a 1.2 m tank and i think they are great. Thanks for the tip to feed once a week with something meaty. I have been overfeeding slightly so that there is food for them and copepods..

Recent Posts