Wet skim water change.

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by fugdub, 30 Nov 2012.

1. fugdub

fugdub

Came across an interesting find today and was wonder what others would think about this. The theory says, When it's time for a water change set your skimmer to skim very wet and overflow into buckets or suitable containers till you reach the water volume you wanna change, then top up with fresh salt water. The idea is you changing the same volume of water but with a higher level of nutrients??? Anybody do this?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

It is a very good idea, but will take very long if you have a large system and you need to change 100 litres of water. It's not such a new concept, the idea has been around for a while but for practical reasons, not sure if many use it, I know I haven't.:)

4. marine101

marine101

It will take slow, but not worth it. The more wet u skim, the more u actually not skimming, and just doing a water exchange.

5. fugdub

fugdub Thread Starter

I agree it will take a while, but surely wet skimate has a higher concentration of DOC's than water simply siphoned out the tank? Might be a good way to do frequent water changes on small systems or nanos with skimmers.

6. crispin

crispin

im not totally convinced of that. If i do a decent sized water change i often blow out the detritus from in the rock work with a pump and take out very dirty water, or else place the pipe aganist the rock work and suck out any detritus I can. I would hazzard a guess that water has a higher concerntration of DOC than you find in a skimmer set to very wet skimming.

I wouldnt use a skimmer to do water changes, apart from the impracticle aspect of having lots of buckets and having to keep an eye on them not flooding, adding water slowly at the right temp (as you are removing water slowly) and correct SG would be a real pain i think.

7. fugdub

fugdub Thread Starter

It is very impractical but in theory it sound like a good idea. I also blast rock with pumps while doing water changes but the water is never really that light tea colour like wet skimate is.

8. Papitto

Papitto

I know this is a very old thread, but I wet skim water change as well. I found it isn't such a schlep either. I have a 50L drum x 2. My skimmer cup is drilled with 10mm tubing feeding into one drum. The other drum I fill with new saltwater and has a ATO in it that automatically fills the sump with new water while the skimmer pushes out a diluted tea color skimmate.
    It takes about 2 hours to complete 50L water change, but I think that is a plus because if any parameters differ from old to new water, it would change slowly. I.e. Mg; Strontium etc.

Recent Posts