Wesd's 30L coral tank

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by Wesd, 28 Sep 2013.

1. Wesd

Wesd

Hello all,

So to start off with a bit of an explaination of my plans. A few months ago i received a 1.5m juwel form Pipefish, due to me being super busy at university i havnt had the time to set it up, the plan is to set it up as a coral tank, hopefully in December. When this happens im going to shut down my current 1m and turn that into my QT.

My current QT is a 30L tank which i am now converting into a small coral tank, as i feel it will be easier to maintain one big tank and one small one rather than two big ones (i use the term big very loosely here [​IMG])

So i have had the small tank cycling for just over 3 weeks now.

The specs:

tank dimensions : 470mm(l)*215mm(w)*300mm(h)

filtration and flow : this is comprised of a tetra tec external canister filter (i was given it so im not 100% sure of the model, but i think its the 600), i also have a penn-plax cascade 300 internal filter with a spray bar to distribute the flow.

Heater : 200w lifetech aqua heater (i know its a bit over kill but i had it as a spare)

lights : at the moment i am running 2 54W T5s (yes there is serious over hang on both sides of the tank), again i had these as spare for my 1m so used what i had at hand.
    ***i would appreciate any suggestions with regards to what lighting i can run on this tank, as cheap but effective as possible because im on a very tight budget, i want to keep mainly softies with possibly a few hard corals aswell.

Current livestock introduced over the last week are : 2 cushion starfish, 1 small spotted hawkfish (+-2.5cm), a small wrasse (think its a juvi goldbar), a damsel (will be going back in the next few weeks just caught it to help put some pressure on the system), there are also 5 small local anemones that i found attached to a mussel shell and three small blue/purple mushrooms that a friend gave to me.

Will keep you updated and any suggestions with regards to lighting would be appreciated

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Dec 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

280920131321.jpg

280920131325.jpg

280920131326.jpg

280920131321.jpg

280920131325.jpg

280920131326.jpg

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

looking good there ... I like your anemones especially

5. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

thanks :) the bad phone pics really dont do those little nennies justice, they are absolutely awesome, i'll take some pics with the proper camera when i get the chance ;)

6. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

on the picture this tank looks so much bigger than just 30 liters .. how much live rock do you have in there?

7. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

it does look quite a bit bigger in the pic, must be a good photographer :tt2: haha, im not sure exactly how much rock is in there as most of it came from the back of my fowlr so i didnt weigh it, but its mainly sandstone which i plan on switching out when i find some nice pieces of local rock (i know that there is the continous debate about whether or not it is legal to collect rock and its a seriously grey area, but seeing as it does not definitively state that we may not in the rules of the permit, i dont mind getting a few small pieces as it wont take a lot to fill this tank) :)

8. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

heres a few better pics

wrasse.jpg

spotted hawk.jpg

damsel.jpg

3 shrooms.jpg

3 nennies.jpg

nennie 1.jpg

best nennie.jpg

wrasse.jpg

spotted hawk.jpg

damsel.jpg

3 shrooms.jpg

3 nennies.jpg

nennie 1.jpg

best nennie.jpg

9. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

ok so on thursday last week i added a few more small frags to the tank : green zoas, 1 blue/purple mushroom, small piece of orange echinophyllia (chalice) and a small piece of sinularia.

All are doing extremely well; including the other 2 mushrooms and 5 little nennies that were already in there; except the sinularia, its polyps were extended the first 2 days it was in the tank but since then they have been fully retracted. It is placed midway up in the tank with high flow (virtually direct), so basically i am wondering if its the placement thats causing this or possibly something else? Any ideas?????

10. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

hi wesd what anenome s are those and hows 1 for me :)

11. Raccoon

Raccoon

Hi Wes. Try placing the Sinularia at the bottom where the flow is not direct on it. How about some updated pics? @Fraser W - Those are some really nice looking nennies

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

I have absolutely no idea what species they are, but they are local nennies, if you are ever in durbs drop me a pm and i can get a couple for you ;) They dont seem to sting my fish either, seen the hawkfish sitting on them a few times with no apparent effects :thumbup:

13. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

thanks Raccoon will give it a try :)

14. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

so i added a few more tiny zoa frags today along with two mushrooms, i'll try get some pics up tomorrow, the sinularia also looked a bit better this afternoon than it did this morning :)

15. reef addict

reef addict

16. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

17. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

my phone and the computer are not co-operating with each other tonight :banghead: so i'll upload the pics tomorrow

18. reef addict

reef addict

any luck with the pictures yet?

19. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

awesome.. i dig the anemones too much. when @Fraser W comes to Durbs how is one for me too :)

20. Bandit

Bandit

I've got the same nenies but mine is red and also have a yellow one, they are plentyfull here in PE.

21. Wesd

Wesd Thread Starter

busy updating my phones software now so should hopefully have some pics up later tonight :)

i'll see what i can so as long as whoever is coming through lets me know in advance so i can find a couple ;)

we also have tons of red and yellows in durbs but they are stingers so if you put them in your tank your fish are going to get eaten, ive only ever seen them this colour and without a heavy sting in one spot.

Recent Posts