Well its been a while!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by BlastoM, 15 Oct 2012.

1. BlastoM

BlastoM

Whats up Chaps last time i posted on here i was getting rid of a heap of stuff, those wise words of some to moth ball it fell on deaf ears and now it seems like i have a mountain to climb!

Any advice on a system looking at about 500L, are these new all in one systems any good?

BlastoM

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome back BlastoM!

What brand of "all-in-one" are you looking at?

4. BlastoM

BlastoM Thread Starter

Jeez when i started 8 years ago all we had was a tank and an overflow , The T5 had just come out and the AM multi 1000 was cutting edge! LOL no i have seen the red sea tanks they look nice but are they practical as the simple old overflow and sump, I mean surely that acrylic takes a bit of a beating ?

5. jacquesb

The Red Sea units are quite nice. They not too fancy w.r.t technology though. Still the "traditional" type system - as you say - with overflow, and sump. Very simple lighting - just good enough for perhaps soft corals and fish only.

Their build quality, for the actual aquarium though, is absolute great.

You do not find many pre-build/manufactured units with decent lighting units, and skimmers included.

You still have to try and find the best possible skimmer for your money - the brands available has just doubled.

The new thing w.r.t lighting, is LED. LED units are the bomb these days. You can get expensive units, like the "Ultima" being advertised on MASA recently, and then more "affordable" units, ie. the Kreissel (sp?) units.

Other than that people don't believe that much in DSB's anymore - keeping marines is still "same-old, same-old" ;)

BlastoM likes this.
  6. BlastoM

BlastoM Thread Starter

Bio balls ? DSB were neva my thing anyways just a nitrate breeding ground IMO. As far as Glass tanks they seemed to have doubled in price! WOW i can remember my 4 ft cost me 280 or something! eish
    Ill just sit and do some reading then see where it goes from there!

Thanks jacquaes

7. jacquesb

Nope - bio-balls was a "no-no" since I started keeping marines 8 years ago..... Everything has DOUBLED in price mind you! ;)

No - not that bad. You still get some really amazing skimmers, and lighting units as well as live stock, for just about the same cost - of about 18 months ago, just before I "gave up" for this period of time.

I am also starting out all over again!

Recent Posts