Welcome addition or a potential problem

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by hypn, 3 Apr 2010.

1. hypn

hypn

Hi Guys,

My starter dwarf sea horse tank has become a host for these guys (photo below) and they are not shy at breeding and growing.

Should I be concerned and start getting them out of the tank or are they beneficial. Please remember this would be for a dwarf seahorse tank and a small sting could kill them.

Amphipods and copepods are now everywhere and I would hate to clear out the tank and lose all the good hitch hikers in the tank

Any and all opinions appreciated

Andre

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

They have benifitial properies wrt filter feeding capabilities...but pack a moerse powerful punch. get them out now

4. OP
    hypn

hypn

Thanks Franssny

Any recommendation on the easiest way to remove them because there are quite a few, and a lot of small one's

5. crispin

crispin

those are aptasia (glass annenome) and as frans says can sting. the problem is they can breed fast and by the sound of it you have a slight problem. there are a number of ways to kill them, the most common is by direct injection. I would geta product like aptasiaX or kalkwasser and inject them now while they are small and well before you have sea horses in there. do a search on aptasia and their controll, there is lots of info on it :)

6. crispin

crispin

do NOT attempt manual removal as that will cause the population to explode:p

7. FransSny

FransSny

No probs, I am sure I was the aptasia king....slaked lime (pharmacy sells it), just mix to a paste with RO & squirt into the "mounth"

8. OP
    hypn

hypn

Thanks guys, always nice to know that you could call on the group for a answer. I will do a bit of research because they have made themselves at home and one did create a population boom.

Recent Posts