Weird Weather

Reaction score
It is so cold tonite, my tank heater has switched on, in the middle of summer

Yup... this global warming is just a rumour :)

How about "Global Cooling"? ;-)

Or perhaps "Climate Change"?? ;)

It seems that Cape Town weather has REALLY goen mad as well. I MEAN - where the heck did you see at least 6 or 7 days of rain (in total) IN SUMMER in Cape Town? And even the windy month of August have now changed - no more wind in August - instead, December has been extremely windy!

In Port Shepstone/Margate (KZN) the heat was REALLY turned up this past December - usually it was hot, BUT not SO HOT in December, previously...... We had temperatures that only usually (a few years ago) came about in January/February.....

Yup global warming is here to stay... although bear in mind that we could just be having over the last week was a "family of mid-lat cyclones"... although these usually occur earlier in the season.

Having some inclement weather chaps?

Ja, what you Pommies call "bad weather" we here in dry South Africa call "beautiful rain"

But our weather really has been all topsy-turvy - I've actually been sleeping under two blankets the past few days, and THAT means it's really cold - and that's in Bloemfontein, slap bang in the centre of South Africa, and known for it's extreme temperatures: 36-38 °C during summer (i.e. now...) and going down to -6 to -8 °C in winter.

People, we MUST put more pressure on the politicians throughout the World to stop playing politics, and start to do something SERIOUS about pollution and global warming - oh, and we must start to do our own bit as well...

Hennie

My view - I think we are all fooling ourselves really if we want to try do something to change the situation.

Sure we may have a small effect, but do you really think for example that the human race can stop the next ice-age etc., things that have been happening on earth for millions of years.

Us humans are merely a blip on evolutionary time scale and given a few more million years, as a race we probably won't be around anymore anyway.

Millions of species have appeared and disappeared over the course of time, and we are just another species subject to the whims of the universe so what does it matter if we die out as a race within the next 200 years or next 20 000 or 2000 000. What effect do we really have on the universe itself. Nothing.....We are insignificant.

So enjoy life while you can. If it makes you feel better then do your bit, but it won't make any difference in the long run.

*now I will go hide away*

Exactly- two of the worlds biggest polluters (USA and to a far lesser extent Aus) havent signed it (last I was aware)

Compared to Eastern Europe, China and India, the Aussies are small fry.

All the time China is allowed to boost it's economy, and the US are too scared to tell their voters to lose their gas guzzling 7/8lt pick up's there isn't much the rest of us can do.

Wait, my facts are wrong- australia signed on December 3 2007

heres a map of whos signed (taken from Wiki) (not that it means much- Kyoto Protocol is pretty useless). Green equals signed and ratified, yellow equals signed but still to be ratified. Grey = Undecided. Red= bugger off Kyoto Protocol.

A huge number of the countries just have to monitor and report emmissions and thats it- no teeth!

800px-Kyoto_Protocol_participation_map_2005.png

Millions of species have appeared and disappeared over the course of time, and we are just another species subject to the whims of the universe so what does it matter if we die out as a race within the next 200 years or next 20 000 or 2000 000.

Perhaps, but I would rather have you become extinct before I do :whistling:, and if I had a choice I would rather have the next ice age happen in 20 000 years, rather than in 200 years.

Sure we may have a small effect

That's probably what our forefathers said 200 years ago...

What effect do we really have on the universe itself. Nothing.....We are insignificant.

What effect did Man have on the environment only 200 years ago, and look what effect we're having now. In another 200 years (if we survive...) our offspring could perhaps be debating the pollution effect we're having on the whole solar system... "Mars was in a pristine condition until they started mining operations..." or perhaps "since we started using the sun as an incinerator for our trash, light intensity has decreased by 12.8% over the past 50 years, and soon Venus will become inhabitable..."

I do hear what you're saying, and I agree that there are cyclic changes in nature which are beyond our control, but that does not mean that we are not precipitating a man-made change which would not have happened but for our pollution...
Hennie

Humans are perfectly capable of destroying Earth. Much less so the universe, but then again, we know of only one planet in the whole universe where humans can survive - Earth. So if we destroy Earth, we destroy life. Simple.

Someone beat this... Phalaborwa usual Dec/Jan/Feb is around 38-42 C... Yesterday it was 17C... It was almost the coldest it has been here all year... not even winter got this cold...worst part is that they hardly sell jerseys and jackets in this town.... So every one just freezes...

My view - I think we are all fooling ourselves really if we want to try do something to change the situation.

Sure we may have a small effect, but do you really think for example that the human race can stop the next ice-age etc., things that have been happening on earth for millions of years.

Us humans are merely a blip on evolutionary time scale and given a few more million years, as a race we probably won't be around anymore anyway.

Millions of species have appeared and disappeared over the course of time, and we are just another species subject to the whims of the universe so what does it matter if we die out as a race within the next 200 years or next 20 000 or 2000 000. What effect do we really have on the universe itself. Nothing.....We are insignificant.

So enjoy life while you can. If it makes you feel better then do your bit, but it won't make any difference in the long run.

*now I will go hide away*

Nicely put, I totally agree with the particle of sand theory

Back
Top Bottom