Weird things in Sump

Reaction score
I have noticed over the past 2 days weird whitish, clear almost beehive shaped organisms growing on the glass of my sump and overflow. They are nowhere else in the tank only there. Wish i could take a pic, but they are in awkward places to photograph and are very small. Any idea what these could be? I hope not the formation of aptasia?

dallasg

Reaction score
it could be a form of sponge

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, probably little sponges or mini sea squirts - leave them, they are good water filters.

Reaction score
Is it possibly tubeworms?
They dont look like any tube worms i have seen before, i have lots forming on the glass and rocks as well...the common white tubed ones. I will try look on google for pics of tube worms, squirts and sponges and see if any resemble them.

Reaction score
While looking up white hairy sponges i came across this pic of a sea vase, this is what they look like i think

12974993e2302076a.jpg

dallasg

Reaction score
they are cool, filter feeders like squirts

Reaction score
My tank seems to be seeming with life lately. Its only 2 months old and looks better than my nano did after 5 months. I guess larger amounts of water really do make a difference. I was suprised to see my sand stone base rock even has tubeworms on it and quite a bit of corraline already. Things are looking promising. :thumbup:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Kunhardt,
Do a search for sycon or fuzzy sponges, they are harmless filter feeders and good to have.

Reaction score
Kunhardt,
Do a search for sycon or fuzzy sponges, they are harmless filter feeders and good to have.
Ya Mike, I am pretty sure now that they are sycon sponges now. Good to know they are harmless. Will try and get a pic of mine, but like i said they are so small and in hard to photograph places.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ya Mike, I am pretty sure now that they are sycon sponges now. Good to know they are harmless. Will try and get a pic of mine, but like i said they are so small and in hard to photograph places.
They usually are, they don't like to grow in direct sun light and prefer the deepest, darkest, low flow spots of your sump.

Reaction score
These white cacoons sound so much like the fanworm infestation I had... They hitchhiked on the rocks and grew onto everything. And if i am correct Kunhardt would have gotten his rockwork from the same place as me, which gives a good chance its the same thing.

Reaction score
These white cacoons sound so much like the fanworm infestation I had... They hitchhiked on the rocks and grew onto everything. And if i am correct Kunhardt would have gotten his rockwork from the same place as me, which gives a good chance its the same thing.
Haven't seen any on my rocks or in my DT yet, but if they are the sycon sponges, which i am pretty sure they are now after getting home and having a good look at them, then I probably wont see them, as Mike says they are in the deeper dark low flow spots.

Don't worry Storm I only got about 3kg's of LR from the place i think u are refering to. Got most of my rock from Lowflyer when he was thinking of going FW.