Weird gogga in my Sump...

Reaction score
47647b6a3d2bb7ff.jpg

47647b6a3ea01219.jpg

Hi Guys - Any idea what this might be?

Yes, it is a mud prawn alias Cracker prawn/ cracker shrimp/kaphoemph etc.

I feed them to the Nennie (if there is any left over after fishing- Grunter loves this stuff)

Nope None of the above - I'm from Vereeniging, and I use RO water for my tank....

Nope None of the above - I'm from Vereeniging, and I use RO water for my tank....

You normally only find Mud Prawns in Estuaries/ river mouths flowing into the Ocean, as they do not live on the Beaches where waves/ clean sand are- hence the name Mud Prawn

I would like to know how it got into your system

Raven did someone bring you some live sand up from the coast ?

That looks like beach sand in your sump ?

It's a sandprawn, they are usually found in sandy areas of estuaries and in shallow bays, tidal areas, etc. in the sea. There is more than one species. The mudprawn is found in muddy areas of estuaries. Both mudprawns and sandprawn are pumped and used as bait.
They both burrow.
I think it would be unwise to leave it as they would most likely not be beneficial to a sandbed as they would disturb the bacteria and eat the small live organisms that you would be trying to promote.
If you collected live sand, from a sandy beach or estuary then it most likely arrived as a juvenile prawn. It also means you were collecting sand from where there were sandprawns as the babies make small side burrows in the parents hole.

It's a sandprawn, they are usually found in sandy areas of estuaries and in shallow bays, tidal areas, etc. in the sea. There is more than one species. The mudprawn is found in muddy areas of estuaries. Both mudprawns and sandprawn are pumped and used as bait.
They both burrow.
I think it would be unwise to leave it as they would most likely not be beneficial to a sandbed as they would disturb the bacteria and eat the small live organisms that you would be trying to promote.
If you collected live sand, from a sandy beach or estuary then it most likely arrived as a juvenile prawn. It also means you were collecting sand from where there were sandprawns as the babies make small side burrows in the parents hole.

Could you please be so kind as to post a pic of the difference between the 02 species, as I think I am learning something today

Move into your display tank, be a great cleaner for your substrate

Back
Top Bottom